Pre-populate relations when objects are created from a filtered view.

Description

You are looking at a set of Book with three active filters:

• Author is Agatha Christie.
  • Category is Fiction.
  • Tag is Mystery.

You click the + button to create a new object.

A Book object is created with Agatha Christie already in the Author relation, Fiction already in the Category relation, and Mystery already in the Tag relation.

You were planning to add all of her novels to your collection, so this saves you having to manually assign 219 more relations.

Benefits

• It’s a convenient and intuitive way to add large numbers of similar objects, which new users often need to do as part of migration or setup.
  • It (mostly) eliminates the currently-existing problem of creating a new object from a filtered view, editing its name, and then [seeing it disappear because it doesn’t match the filter yet](https://ryanplant.net/plans.mp4).
  • I think someone looking at a filtered view and adding a new object probably intends it to be part of the subset they’re looking at.

Problems

• Not all filters can be used, e.g. “is not empty” or “has any of”, so it doesn’t completely solve that problem. Maybe it would only work with “is”, “=”, “has all of”, etc filters.
  • It might need to be a separate button to avoid frustrating users who don’t realize what’s happening. Maybe this button only appears/becomes clickable when you have an active filter that contains only those “is”, “=”, “has all of”, etc filters.
  • You can already use templates to achieve this, although you don’t get the nice convenient grid view, and you have to create and archive new templates each time you change a value.
35 Likes

Hello,
I agree with this feature request, because right now the + option in sets is quite confusing: it creates an object that instantly disappears from the set because it does not fulfill the set’s conditions.

5 Likes

definitely very much important!

having filtered views is what allows something such as “task” to be easily filtered within a particular subject.
If when I create a new task within a filtered set view and it instantly disappears, it kind of makes it all moot and I have to go elsewhere to create and handle it until it has the criteria it should inherit on creation.

1 Like

I agree with this feature though I see how it might be difficult to implement due to flexibility of filters.

For instance if you make the create button inherit filter tags, how do you know which tags the user wants the created object to inherit?

It is conceivable they have multiple tags in the filter and not each object requires all tags to be added.

For instance I might have a filter on “anytype-bugs” and “anytype-features”, but I don’t want both to be added automatically.

So I think the inheritance would probably need to ask the user which tags to apply for each new object.

1 Like

The point is that if you use the “+” button in a filtered view, you’d expect the new object to appear in that same filtered view. Otherwise why would you create the object from there and not from the main menu?
Maybe with complex filtering it can be difficult to implement, but for simple tags it should be feasible (as it is in Notion).

Good point! But I guess it can be solved with UI.

For example, clicking (or tapping on mobile) the + adds the row with all tags (default), but hovering (or long pressing on mobile) the + reveals another button that when clicked allows customizing what happens when the + is clicked for that view. (the button should then change to reflect that it is custom)

I second this feature request. In my scenario I have a Set and different views with filters for tags / categories. When I am on a certain view and create a new object the object is not shown in this view but in the All view. In order to move it to the right view I need to adapt the tags / categories accordingly.

This might also be related to Kanban boards (which I unterstand are planned) where you can directly add an item to a certain column (like New, Pending, Done).

Thanks a lot.