Possible Search Improvements

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

Search is primitive. It is not possible to go back and forth in Search and it does not show how many matches it has found.

Describe the solution you’d like

Show the number of matches Search has found; add ‘Forward’ and ‘Backward’ buttons. Another useful feature would be to search using Regular expression.

Additional context

7 Likes

Feature Request

Ctrl + F to activate search only once showed the prompt / field in the top-right where I could see my search text entered, while highlighting that text throughout the document.

Solution

It would be nice if the search field shows up

1 Like

Feature Request

Search doesn’t have the capacity to scroll backwards through found options. It would be great if this were available

Solution

Shift + F when in search mode to cycle backwards through the found instances

2 Likes

@poochy I’ve removed your latest reply to this thread as it was a repeat of the previous reply!

The current version of Anytype shows the matches only if the toggle is ‘open’. It makes sense if you do not want to include possible matches in closed toggles. Though, if you are working with a large document with many toggle lists, you will have a hard time using the search to find a word in a toggle list: You will have to manually toggle all the lists before searching.

There could be an option that allows the user to specify whether they want Anytype to find matches in closed toggles. It would make sense for it to be a per-search option rather than a global setting. However, this option sounds a bit too specific, it definitely needs improvement.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered

I do not think that automatically finding (with no way to disable) all the matches in closed toggles would be a good idea. If, for example, your document is divided into multiple sections and you want to search within a single section only; you’d simply close the toggles of other sections, then enter text in the search field.

3 Likes

@BGray I guess it depends on how you use toggles, but IMO having an option to limit search to closed toggles is bordering on overly complex. I can’t remember ever seeing this option in any other app, and search UIs are often complex enough as it is…

1 Like

@Oshyan Yeah, I agree with you, this is too specific. I was basically imagining how one might use the toggles, I never had the necessity of searching within a particular toggle list myself. That’s why I said it needs improvement as in people can comment whether they are concerned with anything like that in their workflow.

Then, if no one really needs that, I think it would be better if Anytype did search inside closed toggles as well. Currently I do have a document with many toggles and I need to toggle all the lists one by one just to be able to cycle through all the instances of the word ‘legendary’.

1 Like

I just cant get used to not have this information available. It is a very common design pattern among many applications.

When searching inside a page, the search box could show the number of hits.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered

No alternatives, other than count one by one

Additional context

3 Likes

@div3xi could you merge this to the discussion bellow?

https://community.anytype.io/t/-/1029

Additionally: To consider the currently selected text a search term when issuing the search command.

When press Ctrl+F, I always have to type what I want to search, no matter if what I wanted to search was already selected before issuing the search command.

Alternatives

Select the text, then press Ctrl+C, Ctrl+F, Ctrl+V

Related to https://community.anytype.io/t/-/1029

This is much needed and most would expect the search to work this way

another good one is cmd/ctrl + K to open search from the keyboard instead of clicking the title of the current page. which ik is currently cmd/ctrl + s but that has a strong mental model as a save command and not a search command.

2 Likes