PDF annotation with Anytype

Describe the solution you’d like

Logseq has this super cool and Utility feature, where PDF is opened within the app with a viewer built in it and annotations can be made in the viewer all without leaving the app (i.e No PDF is opened using something like adobe). And takes the annotation in outline area as a reference ( currently it a manual process it is super cool).

After annotation of pdf within Anytype, the annotations and notes should be available on a note separately, like Logseq does.

I think it is a must have (IMO) feature as much as Database feature to have a PKM.

Additional context

This was from Logseq. Check out Logseq (currently 0.3.2 ) if you want to experience it by yourself.

Give Thumbs up for this feature if you would like to have it in Anytype.

42 Likes

Seriously this and outline made me use logseq.

2 Likes

I think Zotero 6 has the nice way of annotations(should check if you haven’t) and also builtin PDF viewer (logseq has too). Select the highlight option and highlight. No need for pressing highlight option or pressing (Ctrl-H) keyboard shortcut. Also the extraction of annotations are even good. Would be awesome for those who study using PDF. Students and researchers would be mainly benefited.

2 Likes

I also use Logseq for my knowledge management at the moment but for projects, I would like to use Anytype. It would be nice if we can do some quick highlighting in PDFs. Currently, you need to download the PDF, annotate and then reupload.

1 Like

You can open pdf in the app itself. But yeah highlight would be a great addition. However exporting of highlight should be there.

As someone who uses a Sony Digital Paper almost daily, the ability to work with annotations like this would be quite useful, especially if handwriting became searchable like typed text.

1 Like

And ability to extract those annotations

2 Likes

I use logseq for 6 months and didn’t knew about that. Yesterday all day long i was searching tool for doing that and all i found is working not in the way i expected. But Logseq do with PDF what i need. Thank you topic starter for the hint.

3 Likes

I‘d love such a feature, please implement it!

2 Likes

oh yes that would make it the best app out there,since its impossible to find an app that syncs between android and mac !!!

3 Likes

Hello everyone :nerd_face: Thanks for rising this up. We already have pdf markup in our product backlog, but to be honest we could start to work on this only after the public release
The main idea is Anytype is not really optimised for working with visual information like pdf and images for now. And we want address this request as a part of integral initiative “visual content as a first class citizen” to provide solid experience. It will take a lot of effort and we have more screaming tasks to do before public release :face_in_clouds:

8 Likes

Will text within pdf and images be searchable as part of the initiative?

1 Like

Added this to the roadmap :handshake:

3 Likes