Partial Restore of Files from Backup

What’s The Bug?

When restoring a backup, locally stored files beyond cloud limit are unlinked and missing.

How To Reproduce It

Export space above (cloud limit) to any block, select, JSON , Zip, include files.
Attempt to restore on fresh OS.
Files from cloud will sync, anything above the cloud limit in the archive will not.

The Expected Behavior

Using a backup to restore anytype space, would restore anytype space.

Additional Context

In an attempt to repair the space I overloaded the 1GB limit and found Anytype is dumping excess files locally into:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp

I moved my /files/ contents from the backup archive into C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp
anytype is not associating the files with the new install

Device

Z13-ACRNM RMT02

OS

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC

Anytype Version

Technical Information

OS version: win32 x64 10.0.19044
App version: 0.38.0
Build number: build on 2024-01-23 17:45:05 +0000 UTC at #c71c64146c6e721ac39e01d450f38db5e6963f2e (dirty)
Library version: v0.30.12
Anytype Identity: A5zXfKBFCofzr9JFfsDzsadX9M6hkAujRvw4XTtTeQ6yFUbq
Analytics ID: d6913350-b73f-4b47-a832-94e4ddaee09f
Device ID: 12D3KooWQoftrcds4zReKBM9cz1XQnXHBANrCMngLHMgxbYryeR9

Confirmed on Windows 11 @ v0.38.3 alpha

Those are the steps I followed:

1. Uploaded 4 files with total ~1.4 GB (above 1 GB limit) to a page (links to those files were added to that page)
  2. They appeared on the page and are downloadable
  3. Exported that space in any-block .zip file format + include all files
  4. Exported .zip file is ~1.4 GB
  5. Created another account and tried to import

Import succeeded but I got two problems:

• The page which I uploaded files to, now doesn’t contain any links to those files
  • Files are imported but all of the files were renamed from test.specific-extension to long-string.txt and I get that error when trying to download them:

UPDATE: When logging in back into the first account, all the files were there although they exceeded the limit, checked the work directory folder and found it has a total size of 2.53 GBs, does it contain all of the data from both accounts now?

1 Like
  • Deleted offloaded data from anytype server,
  • Deleted Temp directory contents.
  • Uninstalled anytype.

• Install anytype without internet connection.
  • Run anytype as administrator,
  • restore internet connection
  • login in with phrase
  • Remove internet connection on login handshake.

• Import backup
  • Backup is incomplete like previously stated.
  • restore internet connection
  • navigate to: anytype>setting>space

Watch Local files count up to 0.94GB
(have a video with network traffic, was hoping it was slowly populating my backup data back to local directories)

so once again, structure is intact enough to manually repair sections but everything else linked, reference files etc. are present in backup but not on local machine.

This report has been added to our issue tracker and received by the Development Team.

1 Like

Did you export in JSON or protobuf?

Might be related to this, if you used JSON.

1 Like

It is, as said in the original post

On Github :

JSON only, it’s partially related but the main difference is the renaming that happens to those files.

This issue has been fixed by the Development Team and will be implemented in an upcoming release.

2 Likes