Paranoid new user who doesn't like autosync :(

The first experience after installing Anytype was super, it looks great, it has very nice tutorial. It even has a dark mode! I felt like a small kid wondering about all the possibilities, linking stuff, creating lists, all my ToDos, notes, how everything would look like…

I had read about Notion and disliked their cloud-approach, I don’t like my data anywhere else than on my local PC. Storage is very cheap nowadays, I can backup locally, local network or encrypted to cloud with my chosen encryption.

Maybe I am too early here as I don’t like current autosync option. I would have preferred an option in the beginning to let me choose: go local only, where I need to understand there is a higher risk of data loss, etc. Or then choose current in which data is synced to nodes.

Just having Anytype open, without doing anything there, I can see it has been connected to Amazon, DigitalOcean and even some dynamic.kabel-deutschland.de, all this is freaking me out.

I can see this is widely discussed here, developers have acknowledged this and I fully understand my type of user maybe isn’t the target group, so definitely not a priority, but for me this is currently preventing me to consoliate all my data into Anytype :(.

Putting this aside, everything looks and feels great, very modern! Thank you for all the great work so far.

Yes, you are to early indeed.

As far as I understand the sync is forced in alpha because they or we are also testing sync (which has a whole lot of issues so testing is crusial hehe).

Ones out of alpha you can choose to make use of sync (probably paid feature) or have your own local storage / sync solutions.

Do understand that Anytype is as Alpha as they come, with bugs, missing features and in this case, force sync! Though, this is the most promissing app in development at this moment in my opinion with an active develop team. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Isn’t it true that alpha users will get the autosync feature for free for lifetime as a gift?

That was said by the team, yes. Though I assume there will be some kind of storage limitation.

2 Likes

What kind of storage limitations?

They will provide the service of backing up your data. So they will most likely limit the amount, so you don’t put terabytes of data into Anytype.

1 Like

Actually, I don’t believe anyone ever said for lifetime, but surely for a good while. Long term benefits for all Alpha Testers still have yet to be defined. The basic services of Anytype will always be free for everyone. Things like backup node sync & storage will be part of the subscription service for new users after we go public. Some of those kinds of premium services will be gifted to our Alpha Testers, and rewarded potentially on individual merits. Exactly which services and for how long, still needs to be decided by the Team (and Community), but certainly for a substantial amount of time.

1 Like

Hello, thank you for your post. We are in the process of developing the sync protocol and sometimes we change the data structure, so in the case we change it, with our nodes we can assure that your data is converted to the new format and can be used by new clients. If you’re not comfortable with what we have right now, it would be better to wait some time. If would allow you to opt-out now then there is always a chance that your data will be incompatible with future versions. When we will establish the protocol and the data format, it will be not a problem anymore.

1 Like