Objects don't reflect updated template

Description:
When updating a template for a type, the objects of that type, using that template are not updated.

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Go to a type, eg. Book
  2. Duplicate existing default template and add own items e.g. “recommended by - human”, or “book type - tag”
  3. Go to set aggregating this type, eg Reading List and add new item using the duplicated template, fill in fields
  4. Go back to the Book type and edit the template, eg add “lists - tag”
  5. When opening the newly created object of the chosen type, the new relation is not present. eg, the existing books, don’t show the “lists - tag” relation

Expected behavior
I would have expected the existing objects of type book using the duplicated template, to be updated to include the new relation. Otherwise I’d have to manually go through all existing items to add the new relation, which defeats the purpose of a template.

Device:

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.81 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

System:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎08/‎11/‎2021
OS build 22000.675
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.675.0

Hi @daylight-turkey, thanks for sharing your story!

The workflow you are describing is unfortunately not implemented yet. When a new object is created, the state of the template at the moment of creation is used. There is no inheritance or link between template and object after creating the object. Changes to the template will therefore only be reflected when creating a new object after that change. There are several feature requests that might resolve your issue. Let me know if you cannot find them, then I’ll take a look and link them here.

Hi @sambouwer ,

thanks for pointing that out. I have found one of the feature requests for this now… Thank you!

1 Like

Great! Could you link the topic you found here for reference? I did some digging and got these:

Some general ideas for improvements for templates

Applying templates to existing objects

I thought I had read more requests regarding templates, but I can’t find much more than this :sweat_smile:

Hi, the second one you linked is actually the one I found!

1 Like

Hi there,
This is intended behaviour

1 Like