Object disappeared


From within a set for a custom object type, I created a new object complete with cover image, title, content, bookmarks and more. After clicking on the “background” to close the object it disappeared. I checked the bin, the graph, I did a search and I checked the “everything” set but it was nowhere to be found.


I do not know if the issue is reproducible. Redoing what I did as per the bug description does not reproduce it so I don’t know what caused it.


The object should have appeared in the set’s list and been readable with all the content I added.


  • Device:
    Desktop PC
  • OS:
    Windows 10
  • Anytype Version:
    I am unsure because it was updated in the meantime. My current version (the only update since the bug) is Version: 0.31.67


In the meantime the lost object reappeared. This happened after a recent update. Closing and reopening Anytype did not recover the item until the app was updated with a new version.

1 Like

One question I have in relation to this: As it seems the issue is related to sync, why would the object disappear for me?

I was told a number of times that my data “belongs to me and is private and is available offline” - why would it not be available locally when it still existed somewhere, as evidenced by it reappearing? If it was going to disappear anywhere I would expect that to happen remotely and for the object to always be available locally regardless.


I had the same thing happen to me. I have no idea how it happened though. my main dashboard page mysteriously disappeared on the graph. Oddly enough, I was able to search for it, duplicate it, and then deleted the dysfunctional page and then it came back. Not sure if this is the same issue but it sounds related

1 Like


Don’t you think that these kinds of major problems seem to be a concrete indication that the move from Alpha to Beta is premature?

Is there any time pressure to move ahead with the public launch roadmap, or do you genuinely feel confident about the launch despite the growing number of unresolved bugs?
Unfortunately, this kind of unreliability will have a definite negative impact on the confidence that can be placed in Anytype, especially if it goes widely adopted.

From now on, I’m going to number each of my Objects so that I can more easily identify any future data loss.


This report has been added to our issue tracker and received by the Development Team.

@Professor @Anthony_W please give this a try:

  • Navigate from the Top Menu:
  • File>Show Work Directory
  • Open Anytype>Data>Beta
  • Anytype>Quit
  • Inside Anytype>Data>Beta there will be a folder named after your Anytype ID
  • Rename the folder by adding a few — to the end (you can change it back later if the resync doesn’t workout)
  • Re-open Anytype

This will force a recovery of your data folder. Give it plenty of time to resync


You are participating in a free to use tester program, which we depend on to iron these things out. Seeing these issues reported should exactly assure you that we are addressing them, rather than sweeping them under the rug.

We are not going public yet, and will not until both we and our Community have the utmost confidence in our application.


I also had the same problem, I spent a long time building types, objects, and templates, and suddenly they were all gone. So much effort has been wasted, and I hope to solve this problem as soon as possible.
Device: MacBook-Pro.local
OS version: darwin arm64 13.4.0
App version: 0.31.72-beta
Build number: build on 2023-06-13 20:48:15 +0000 UTC from at #0fa0c6245a6b523e1830aa38e9184a0a7ec42fad(v0.27.2)
Library version: v0.27.2
Account ID: A9vq4x7puBv19mLAdWFiAJJb24BPRxBdJkDPrM9RpoyrmQLd
Analytics ID: c728b0ec-7ac1-4633-afe9-7c5adfd74db9
Device ID: A94v1dzK4EruWeH3f58t4KuzBGZEiYyQadPJDoGwU36JvfJX

1 Like

This issue has been fixed by the Development Team and will be implemented in an upcoming release.