Not able to see anything on main screen after logging in after long time

Describe the bug

After logging into Anytype on desktop app after a long time, the main screen showed up empty.

To Reproduce

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Login to Anytype desktop app
    1. Add your notes
    1. Close the app and let the session expire.
    1. Try logging in again into the desktop app

Expected behavior

Anytime should show my notes on desktop app after logging in after long time.

Desktop (please complete the following information):

• Device: Macbook Pro
  • Version: OS 10.15.7, Anytype 0.18.15

Additional context

Just a thought, since this is an Electron app, can we enable a way to open the Dev Tools to see any console errors? Also, that would allow a way to do a “Invalidate cache and restart” on the app so that it does a fresh start.

@tejasjadhav Hi! Please, send me your logs. You can do it by clicking File -> Object diagnostic.

@tejasjadhav And please write from which version you have updated.

@Kirill_Lem

File → Object diagnostics doesn’t seem to do anything. Is there any other way to share logs?

@Kirill_Lem

I haven’t updated from any version. This is first and only version I have installed.

@tejasjadhav

You need to start the app from console

Mac, Linux

• Stop application if it’s running.
  • Can you please start Terminal. In Spotlight you can type “Terminal”
  • Can you please start the application through the terminal with this command again? ANYTYPE_LOG_LEVEL = “* = DEBUG” /Applications/Anytype.app/Contents/MacOS/Anytype
  • Use CTRL(CMD)-A and CTRL(CMD)-C to copy logs from the terminal and send it to the team

Windows

• Run this command in the command prompt (please correct the location of Anytype app)
  • set “ANYTYPE_LOG_LEVEL=*=DEBUG” && start C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\anytype2\Anytype.exe
  • Do the stuff in anytype that cause a problem
  • Use CTRL-A and CTRL-C to copy logs from the command prompt and send it to the team

You may experience a crash like this:

It means problem is 100% is in our side and it will be enough to share this crashlog in order us to fix it

If there is no crash, we need to also check if we have some errors in the JS console

1. Please open the app’s path that is shown in Status (press bottom-left question mark → Status)

For Linux path can be /home/<userName>/.config/anytype2/

For macOs path can be /Users/<userName>/Library/Application\ Support/anytype2

1. Open devconfig.json and set this data there. If there is no one, you can create new one:

{“allowDebug”:true,“debug”:{“mw”:true,“ho”:false}}

1. Start the app
    1. Open app system menu.

Open. Debug menu, from where I could open devtool

Press cmd + option + I to see the debug menu with developer tools & open console in MacOS

Press Alt+Ctrl+I / Shift + CTRL + J to see the debug menu with developer tools & open console in Windows/Linux

It means problem is 100% is in our side and it will be enough to share this crashlog in order us to fix it

There can be problem with opening particular page. To fix that you need to

• Open developer tools. Go to Application tab → Local Storage → localhost:8080 → delete the pageId at the right and press CMD+R/CTRL+R

@Vova Thanks for your help. I actually ended up re-downloading the latest version and it worked there. I’ll do what you mentioned if I encounter this issue again.