NodeJS error “UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: An object could not be…”

I try to run Anytype on (linux) Debian 10 Buster. I found how to fix some errors [here](Error “The SUID sandbox helper binary was found…”) and [here](Solve “libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error…”) but I still have a NodeJS warning/error. Anytype start with a blank window and the top menu bar only:

$ export LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=iHD
$ ./Anytype-0.18.28.AppImage --no-sandbox
(node:12949) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: An object could not be cloned.
    at EventEmitter.i.send (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:105:312)
    at electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:101:372
(Use `anytype2 --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:12949) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 1)

Using the --trace-warnings option has no effect.

I don’t know if this warning/error is related with the Anytype blank window.

Desktop:

• Version: 0.18.28

What is your GLIBC version? Anytype seems to require it to be atleast 2.29

@lynxlove Thank you for this information. Debian 10 Buster provide glibc 2.28. So I must upgrade to Debian Bullseye (testing, the next stable release) to make it work. What I will do soon to use Anytype :slight_smile: Thank you!

@bndn Hi! Can you try to launch another app that was built in electron?

@Kirill_Lem Hi! Yes. Signal 5.8.0, Bitwarden 1.24.6 (Shell 6.1.7, Node 12.4.0) and Atom 1.57.0 works great on my desktop.

I have the same error, but it looks to me like my glibc is up to date.

My system basics:

aia@hp13g1:~$ cat /etc/issue
GalliumOS 3.1 \n \l

aia@hp13g1:~$ uname -a
Linux hp13g1 4.16.18-galliumos #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jun 23 04:14:45 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

From the output of ‘dpkg -l’

ii libc-bin 2.27-3ubuntu1.4 amd64 GNU C Library: Binaries
ii libc-dev-bin 2.27-3ubuntu1.4 amd64 GNU C Library: Development binaries

My stacktrace:

aia@hp13g1:~$ anytype --trace-warnings
19:42:11.444 › Config: {
“channel”: “latest”
}
[18191:0131/194211.585194:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
Channel: latest
[18156:0131/194212.162758:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(269)] Gdk: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion ‘window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0’ failed
(node:18156) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: An object could not be cloned.
at EventEmitter.t.ipcRendererInternal.send (node:electron/js2c/renderer_init:85:328)
at EventEmitter. (node:electron/js2c/renderer_init:81:357)
(Use anytype2 --trace-warnings ... to show where the warning was created)
(node:18156) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag --unhandled-rejections=strict (see Command-line options | Node.js v17.4.0 Documentation). (rejection id: 1)
^C19:43:04.353 › before-quit
19:43:04.355 › MW shutdown is starting, relaunch: false
^C

Suggestions?

@iamaia8

Could you run Anytype in spite of this error message ?

I also have this error message with Ubuntu 20.04, but I still can run Anytype. However, my logs get flooded with some other error messages a few minutes later until I close the app (but I can still use Anytype if I don’t close it) (see bug report here) . I don’t know if problems are linked.

Here is my output of dpkg -l

ii  libc-bin                                   2.31-0ubuntu9.2                            amd64        GNU C Library: Binaries
ii  libc-dev-bin                               2.31-0ubuntu9.2                            amd64        GNU C Library: Development binaries

My libc from dpkg -l:

ii libc-bin 2.27-3ubuntu1.4 amd64 GNU C Library: Binaries
ii libc-dev-bin 2.27-3ubuntu1.4 amd64 GNU C Library: Development binaries

I end up in a blank screen that is as all white, and get no meaningful feedback from the application if I click on menu items. They are available, so, clearly, the process is still running, but the app itself really isn’t.

Sorry, about the delayed response, I’ve been swamped with work.

aia

Can you still see and open the menu items ? (Anytype, File, Edit, Window, Help) ?
For example, if you click on Help → Shortcuts, does it display anything ?