New Type of Pages - Whiteboard/Canvas

I understand what you mean, I was just expanding on the idea that the Graph could be improved by having a few Whiteboard features, since it was mentioned in an earlier comment that a Whiteboard/Canvas isn’t a priority. Also, I’ve read requests that want customization options for the Graph, so I thought of how it would make sense to include it.

Ultimately, Anytype would benefit from having a separate, fully functional Whiteboard, but until they decide to compete in that area, I thought a few Graph improvements would make it special and good enough to present objects that are related to each other.

This is why I included save view options in my previous comment. The Graph is one big view, but you can zoom it to, say, your family tree to only show that topic. If you choose to customize the presentation for that tree (such as showing more info and redesigning the arrows), then you can save that and it will revert to that view whenever you open your family tree set in the Graph. If you open the Graph from your Marvel objects, none of those edits will show up and you can still use the Graph the same way you do now. (I think there’s a misunderstanding. I wasn’t suggesting one fixed view for the entire Graph, it wouldn’t make sense.)

Also why I suggested the Graph elements object. Should they decide to create an actual Whiteboard or, say, include it in handwritten notes canvas, it wouldn’t be like a repetition of features because you can reuse the same objects in a more feature-rich ‘canvas’. Hope that makes sense.

Maybe “combining” is the wrong word to use, but it could definitely benefit from having features similar to a Whiteboard. I share your opinion that they have different purposes and shouldn’t be fixed to a single view. The suggestion was only for creating a presentation out of objects that already exist in the Graph.

3 Likes

A graph representation has to be selective to be useful. I found this, by the Metacademy guys, tobe a great balance between showing and hiding. It makes judicious use of onhover events to reveal what is needed only on request:

See it interactively here: https://metacademy.org/graphs/concepts/natural_gradient#focus=kniylh65&mode=explore

3 Likes

While I approve of the idea to improve the graph view I don’t think it should be the canvas/whiteboard view. Those are two different things with different purpose in my opinion.

For the record, totally agree. I understood the idea to be an extension of the graph in its present form, extended to include links to canvas/whiteboard objects. That is where I would focus the FR if with all these comments we are refining a potential request.

3 Likes

Thanks both for replying. I thought you guys mend it as a single graph view that you can lock/edit but I was wrong in that understanding.

I believe what Kerstie is talking about, a “zoomed in” graph view, only showing a few links is what is called a local graph. Which only shows the direct links in and out of the object you have selected (or opened). With a slider (as Obsidian does it) you can extend the amount of steps/objects to see. So the linked of the linked objects, etc.

Also, a filtered and saved graph view would be awesome (again Obsidian does this very well). Where you could filted to show only family members and thus making a family tree more or less. Then save it as a filtered graph that you can “store” or link too would be awesome.

On top of that, extra (whiteboard like) options to edit upon the graph view would be great as well.

And then ofcourse their would be a real whiteboard/canvas type page, also awesome and very useful to have!

If I may make a summary we have 4 different suggestions that overlap a bit:

1. A local graph view
  2. Filtered and save-able graph views
  3. Extra features to make notes, arrows, shapes and more on the graph view
  4. A dedicated whiteboard/canvas page/object

Hope I got it right this time? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hope I got it right this time? :slight_smile:

Absolutely.

The filtered and save-able graph views could be implemented as part of sets imo. It could just be another view type.

6 Likes

The filtered and save-able graph views could be implemented as part of sets imo. It could just be another view type.

A graph view set. Brilliant.

4 Likes

Yes, a local graph that you can filter, edit, and save. I don’t use Obsidian, but those sound like great features to have.

It is a lot of requests, but they go hand-in-hand. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes. The “space” will be availavle in the near future. Maybe there we can do these kinds of customizations
Thanks for the reply and the later discussions. :blush:

2 Likes

Thia is an awesome idea. :blush:.

1 Like

Also maybe another layout or docoment type option like, diagram, flow chart or mind map, in addition to the current basic, note, pages, profile etc, can be added. In that layout, we can make diagrams where every ”node” of the diagram (node being media, text or embeded link to another object) are blocks.
This way, if “everything is a block” type ideas can be implimented, then we can connect the relevent part (block) of our diagram, to any other object, through relations. And, those relations would show up in the graph view.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Since the devs mentioned that the layouts will be programmable with plugins, I’m sure that a lot of these would be implemented with time.
This might be better as a separate feature request though, and possibly in the API and plugin section as well.

1 Like

Hello.
I have made a FR as you have suggested.

Gooday.

3 Likes

This idea is interesting and a neat way of implementation. This seems like a UI overhaul on that particular feature and would take a while to get in our hands.

I wrote a feature request that would be a simpler way imo to implement it faster and not involve to much ideally. Curious to know your thoughts.

1 Like

+1, definitely needed. This would push Anytype even further ahead of Notion :slight_smile:
Having a Whiteboard and linking notes is one reason why I’m still using Logseq beside Anytype.

2 Likes

Note, Obsidian has published an open source file format for their Canvas (whiteboard) data, with the intention that it might be a standard for interoperability of whiteboards between apps. Seems like a great idea to me.

Source: Obsidian’s forum

9 Likes

From Obsidian i suggest to see also Excalidraw integration, with continue new feature it can be an alternative to mindmap or csnvas feature.

2 Likes

+1 This will help me a lot.

1 Like

I seriously get a little excited each time this topic gets attention again. This is easily the biggest feature I really want for anytype.

6 Likes

Clickup today announced the whiteboard :