Nested views (tabs) in Sets

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

I’d like the ability to nest Views in my Sets, to keep Sets more tidy and streamlined. For example, in the Set with all my Tasks, I can set it up so that if I have a “Home” View, under that I can have subViews named “Urgent”, “This week”, “This month” and “All”.

Not sure what would be the best navigation for this:

• Option 1: selecting a View would expand all of its subtree of subViews (for the last accessed path). Could get pretty cluttered. (see image above) Would require the option to have Sets remember what was the latest viewed SubView for each level, or just default to first View (on the left).
  • Option 2: Hovering a View name (which currently does nothing) would show their immediate subViews (if any), allowing to pick one. Same for each new level. Keeps UI cleaner, though adds clutter every time name is hovered.

Or allow the user to pick how the navigation should work…

This would make my Tasks Set much tidier. At the top level I’d only see the main Views - for example, “Home”, “Work”, “Art” and “Admin”. Then within each of these I could have subViews as needed.

These Subviews should automatically inherit all filters from its parent (Home), though it should be possible to override these as needed. In other words, the main feature I’m asking for is the organizational benefit of having nested Views. Having filters from top Views affect Views nested within them is optional.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

As explained above.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

As explained above.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

Creating several Views, one next to the other: “Home/Urgent”, “Home/This week”…“Work/Urgent”, “Work/Boss”… “Admin/Car”, “Admin/Boat”…;

This would be a mess!

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

Here’s how it is now

8 Likes

Interesting request @qualquertipo. We will consider this one when we will updates sets interface. The priority also depends on the number of likes on the post :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

This suggestion fits well with the grouping feature coming soon TM

Perhaps you can select a show groups on top or something and get what is shown in this concept suggestion.

1 Like

Not sure…How will grouping work exactly?

I had in mind grouping would be either “nested” items in Sets (grouped by a particular relation), or as a different name for Kanban.

1 Like

Here is how grouping works according to the official website for a task manager. This is also how Notion uses grouping in list/table view.

Now as this could be the default grouping view, a simple toggle that says, show groups as tabs, or at the top, makes them appear as @qualquertipo suggest.

Thanks!

How are these groups defined?

The example you show seems to focus on time-based grouping (which is useful, but just one of the many use cases of what I’m suggesting)

I’d like to be able to customize subViews as any other View, choosing different Filters, sorting orders etc. Also, the option for deeper nesting then 2 levels.

I have no idea how! It is not yet implemented in Anytype. This is one of the concept images from the official website of Anytype.

In Notion you can say Group by, then select ANY relation to group by. Each relation has it’s own set of rules/options to define grouping.

For example, in my movie database I have it Group by: Release date. A date relation. Then I get the option to group by day, week, month or year.

If I select by a number relation, you can set the group range, every 10 or 100 units is a group.

But when you say you want this to be sub-views. Then that sounds more like being able to customize the top view bar. Perhaps drag views under a main view. That is different then grouping what I thought you want/mean.

Sounds like an interface update for the top view bar. Simple drag and drop one view in/under another. Or have an option to set this view as sub-view of “X” and then it appears below that view.

I like that idea!

Only more then one level seems a bit much, but that is just my opinion. :wink:

2 Likes

Yep!

Could be. But then you’d lose all the benefits of potentially inheriting rules from top level Views.

So for example I could have a top View called “Work” (showing all Tasks tagged as #work), and under that a subView called “Urgent” (showing all tasks tagges as #work AND #urgent - though only #urgent would need to be explicitly defined, as #work is inherited by the parent View).

1 Like