Hi! I’m Jonathan. I’m an animator so use of anytype is, hopefully, for reference and info management as well as knowledge base for personal reading etc. I have used a ton of different services, most recently mem.ai, but tend to go back to onenote. I am excited about learning to use anytype but I must admit I am pretty lost.
A use case example of how lost I am in this program. I want to make a task with a due date. So I type “” and it makes a task and I type “/date” and the only options I have are dynamically created creation date, etc. There seems to be no way to make a due date (at least on desktop), or associate any sort of future date to a text block. So I try to make a task tracker, because maybe I need to do that in page like that. So I follow the instructions on the tutorial but it doesn’t pull in my pre-existing task. Does that mean that I can only make tasks in this specific page? I can’t have a page that pulls in all tasks in Any type? So then I decide I will try to build out some information pages about some ideas I am researching. But as soon as I start I try to add a hashtag, but there is no such functionality. So I try just making individual objects for each topic I would have used a hashtag for, but, I cannot add a link to a page inline. It can only exist in it’s own block. At this point I stop and write what you are reading but I honestly am unsure how I am supposed to use this app and am certain that I am completely clueless as to its intended use.
A numbered list:
- How do I simply add a date to a line? For instance, I want to make a task, so I type"" and want to put a due date, how do I do that? How do I search my notes by date? how do I make a list lf notes from a certain year, month, day?
- what “”? I can’t seem to search for it, I can’t seem to figure out how to make a set with all ""s. I am not sure what the difference is between “” and a “task object”
- There are a variety of things in anytype that I have no idea what I am supposed to do with. For instance, what is “healthy eating relationship”? How would I use it and what is it for? as far as I can tell searching for healthy brings it up, click on it opens a page that says “Healthy Eating” and that page is added to my history and that’s about it.
- What is the significance of a full screen page and a windowed page. I am guessing a full screen page is a template or type? There is no page that lists all my pages though.
- There is no way to see all my types or manage them, is this correct? The only list I seem to see favorites and history. But if a page falls off the history, and isn’t saved in favorites, is searching the only way to find it? Is there a way to browse all my pages?
- Hashtags are not supported. Inline page links also seem unsupported. It seems hard, if not impossible, to mark out important linked ideas in a block of text.
That’s been my experience in the last few days of trying anytype out. I feel like I am missing the basics somehow.