Launcher entry for Debian based distros (Guide)

In my case, launching the AppImage file provided didn’t create a launcher entry for the app. So this is a little guide to create one manually.

First, you must move it to some concrete location (mine is /opt/bin/Anytype.AppImage but you can use .local/bin or other) and changed its permissions (chmod u+x).

With that, you can proceed with the next steps:

1. Within the .AppImage directory, create a temp directory and cd into it.

mkdir temp && cd temp

2. Unpack the .AppImage

../Anytype.AppImage --appimage-extract

3. Copy the icon to /usr/share/icons

sudo cp ./squashfs-root/usr/share/icons/hicolor/0x0/apps/anytype2.png /usr/share/icons/Anytype.png

4. Create /usr/share/applications/anytype.desktop (change the parameters to your liking)

sudo nano /usr/share/applications/anytype.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Anytype    
    Comment=Digital brain
    Exec=/opt/bin/Anytype.AppImage %U
    Icon=/usr/share/icons/Anytype.png                                                            
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Categories=Application;
    Name[en_US]=Anytype

5. Delete the temp folder

rm -rf /opt/bin/temp

6. Open your launcher and search for Anytype

7. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thanks @SergioDev

I managed to get it working, ie i can open the app.
But the image does not display.

There were issues with the path, since the appimage had a version number in it. But i copied the png and checked it’s file name 5 times, so i don’t know. Nothing to do with the size of 512x512 ?

Thanks
Torsten

I am on gnome 41.3, wayland

I usually use MenuLibre to change icons for multiple apps on my linux machines

Ok, thanks, that helped.
I forgot to say i am on fedora and there the MenuLibre (flatpak) can be had as a rpm called MenuEditor.
This led to the discovery that the /usr/share image was not recognized.
And also that it stores the desktop file in .local/share instead of /usr/share , which i think is more appropriate.
So in the end copying the image to a file in my local bin, next to the appimage, and having a .local desktop file did it.
Thanks guys

1 Like

How did you configure your desktop launcher using MenuLibre?

You create a new menu item, use the path to your Anytype app image as the path to the executable, assign an icon and save, which would create a entry for Anytype in your menu launcher

Also, if you want to add the launcher to the favorites, you have to set the Startup WM Class. Check the answer to this StackOverflow’s question to find out the name of the class (it’s probably anytype2).