Inconsistent block drag and drop experience

Describe the bug

Rearranging (dragging and dropping) blocks does not appear to be working correctly. When I click and drag, it’s also unclear as to if I’ve grabbed the handle. When I grab a block handle and drag it next to an existing block, it usually highlights the blocks above/below, and clicking away to unselect doesn’t seem to work.
drag-and-drop.mov

To Reproduce

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. attempt to rearrange block order by grabbing block handle and dropping to new location.

Expected behavior

A few things I guess:

• Smooth click, drag and drop movements
  • I’m expecting some sort of visual indication that the block handle has been selected (perhaps by turning it solid yellow?).
  • When you click in a blank space, blocks are deselected. The ability to click and drag over blocks to select or unselect.

Desktop (please complete the following information):

• Device: Mac mini
  • Version: 0.18.59

Additional context

A weird quirk I did find is that click and drag seems to work much better (at least much more consistent) when I hold down the space bar…?

4 Likes

You’ve got what looks like some unusual behavior there. From what I can see, this is not how Anytype normally works. Clicking and dragging blocks should be very responsive. Your hardware should be fine, but I think this is an M1 Mac, is that right? That may be related, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

@Oshyan Its a Intel Mac mini.

1 Like

@ratiocinate Ah, OK. Can you provide more specs? What generation?

@Oshyan Sure! here you go:

Model Name: Mac mini (2018)

Model Identifier: Macmini8,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

Memory: 32 GB

1 Like

I also have this problem too and I’m on Windows 10. Version number is 0.18.59

1 Like

I have the same problem with mbp, os 11.5.1 .

windows 10 goes well.

This bug is proving to be quite frustrating. I should mention that I use a MX Master 3 for Mac mouse—not sure if that changes anything, but it could be helpful info!

@ratiocinate @lienbon Could you give a quick info, if that bug still occurs?

Seems to be fixed now!

1 Like

I’m also experiencing this on an M1 MacBook Pro. When I try to click and drag a block to rearrange it usually starts highlighting other things on the page instead of dragging the block I clicked on. Very frustrating when trying to make columnar layouts.

I am experiencing this issue currently. Sometimes I can drag and drop blocks to arrange them how I want, and sometimes I can’t move them.

Hi @soup_macaroni, welcome to the Community!

Thanks for letting us know :slight_smile:

Can you try command + r (or ctrl + r), to restart Anytype and see if you still have this issue?

If the issue persists, would you be so kind as to create a new bug report with a screen recording of the problem you’re encountering?

This really helps us with trouble-shooting, to identify and rule out potential causes.

Hi Angelo,
I fixed the issue by updating Windows on my computer. I’m very sorry to have bothered you with an issue that was on my end.
Thank you for your willingness to help! If it happens again, I will create a new bug report with a screen recording.