Improve adding existing tags to object

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

I think the process to choose a tag for an object can be simplified.

When adding a tag in the “set view” or the “object view” I have to click “Select tags”, “add” and then choose the tag.

Describe the solution you’d like

I attached a screenshot of my idea. Instead of a dropdown opening another one, why not add the list of existing tags right under the first dropdown (green in the screenshot). Additionally allow searching for tags right in the field, where the are displayed then.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered

In my opinion it would be a more intuitive process with less clicks.

12 Likes

Yep, this would be fantastic. It would make it MUCH easier to choose, rather than clicking it 3 times for a tag.

4 Likes

+1 for this approach. It reduces the number of clicks and makes the process faster

1 Like

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
Currently, the UI to add tags seems pretty cumbersome, as it seems to contain some unnecessary steps.

To add a tag to an object, one must:

1. Click on the tag relation or open the relations menu, and then click on tags
  2. Click on Add option in the list that appears (there are no other options in this list; is it needed ?)
  3. Either click on one of the tags in the list of existing tags that appears after that; or, start writing to narrow the list with a filter.
  4. If one narrows the list with a filter, they must navigate with the down arrow of the keyboard to the tag that I want; but they have to go through the “Create a new tag” option first, which could be replaced by the simple mention “Press enter to create a new tag”
  5. If one creates a new tag, the cursor is now gone, and must be put back into the right field to create a new tag.

All of this gives me the impression that I am fighting the interface.

Describe the solution you’d like
A good example of a quick tag system (in my opinion) is Joplin’s design.

When the user click on the button to add tags, they are met with the following window:

The user can just type in the window; a list of existing tags will appear, and the user can use the up/down arrows to select the tag they want to add in the list.

The last option of the list is always to create a new tag; it can be easily accessed by using the up arrow from the top.

In short, in the current AnyType implementation, I would:

1. Remove the Add Option in the first list that appears, and get the user to the list of tags to add or delete them with one less click.
  2. Make it so that the user doesn’t have to go through the “Create a new tag” option with the down arrow before accessing the existing tags with the keybaord; as the user will add more and more tag, this option will be less and less needed, and should be the last one to be proposed in the list (as in Joplin).
  3. Make it so that when a tag is created, the cursor is in the right position to search for/create another tag.
2 Likes

I very like the solution for tags that Jira has. When you click the tag space, you can start type and it filters the result. You have already highlighted one tag that you select with Enter and keep typing another one.

2 Likes