Impossible to update desktop app from version 0.25.4

Describe the bug
I am not able to update the MacOS app running on version 0.25.4, either manually (‘Check for updates’) or simply by clicking on ‘Update’ in the pop-up window prompting me to update. After clicking ‘Update’ the entire window turns white with Anytype’s logo in the middle (see screenshot below) and hangs there. I need to restart the app to get it to work again, and after restarting I can see that no update was applied.

To Reproduce

1. Go to ‘Anytype’ → ‘Check for updates’.
  2. Click on ‘Update’ in the ‘Update available’ window.
  3. Observe what happens.

Expected behavior
The app updates and is responsive again.

System Information:

• Device Manufacturer/Model: MacBook Pro 2020 (Intel)
  • Anytype Version: e.g. 0.25.4

This is weird, could you please download latest version from download.anytype.io and try again?

1 Like

Wow, how did I not think of this :man_facepalming: All works for now, will report back if the problem comes back at the next update. Thanks! :bowing_man:

1 Like

We have reproduced your problem and it seems you are trying to update from a read-only folder, so if you move the app to somewhere you have rights on writing it would be ok.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, on that Mac I have no admin rights by default and the app was in the Applications folder… Usually though, when apps update they would ask for elevated rights, which was not the case for Anytype so it did not even occur to me. Thanks for looking into it and sorry for the hassle, guess not really a bug in the end :pray:

It happened the same to me, for exactly the same reason.
@R2D2 would you recommend not to move the the app to the Applications folder yet?

I personally use production version from Applications folder so it should be ok for your user, user has privileges to write into Applications I think.

1 Like

I’ve only recently got a mac so never really tried this, but most of my apps are under ~/Applications (/User/username/Applications) folder which is a writable folder for the user. You can also try creation a folder under the user’s home directory named “Applications”, move Anytype into it and check if update works