I don't understand syncing between devices

Maybe I don’t get the functionality of IPFS. But why when I create a new object on my phone (Android v. 0.6.0), my desktop app (0.24.0) doesn’t pick it up. It also says synced on the mobile, but the object doesn’t even exist on desktop. With data hosted on servers, I understood the problem: weak connection, make sure they are both up to date.

But with the local syncing, I just don’t get it. Why does the object created on my mobile suddenly show up on desktop after 45 minutes when seemingly nothing has changed? Both devices have been connected to the same wifi since the object was created. Although the mobile was on a cell network not wifi (not connected to the laptop) when the object was created. Does that make a difference? I have no idea.

3 Likes

As far as I know, it should not have any influence.

Have you tried the official procedures to either fix or gather data for the development team about this issue?

1 Like

I was also wondering about this question.

Is my understanding correct?

1. Every device with Anytype installed is a “node” - this includes desktop or mobile apps
  2. This includes the backup server node described here: https://doc.anytype.io/d/features/syncing-and-p2p which is acts just like any other node
  3. When making a change on any given device, it will attempt to sync by trying to upload the changes to ANY node it can connect to (usually the backup server node is always available I’m guessing).
  4. But in the event you are offline to the outside world but are connected to a local network, your changes will still sync to your nearby local devices.
  5. Additionally the changes will NOT sync among your local devices if you are offline to the outside world if on your mobile device you have turned off local network access. For example for iOS: If an app would like to connect to devices on your local network - Apple Support. Is that the purpose of enabling the popup that comes up for iOS users that looks something like below?

I am also curious about about this, as it happens to me too, and have no clue on what makes it happen or how to fix it.
Sometimes I restart both of the apps and after a minute or so it syncs… but it is indeed tricky.