How to recover data when app fails to start

When I open Anytype now I only see a frozen white screen. This is the stack trace when I run Anytype with ANYTYPE_LOG_LEVEL="* = DEBUG" /Applications/Anytype.app/Contents/MacOS/Anytype (on a M1 MacBook`).

Please someone help me recover my data. I don’t strictly need the app to start; I won’t be continuing to use Anytype, but I need to export all the data I had put in it. How do I export the data when I can only get this white screen? Thank you.

14:20:41.918 › Config: {
   "channel": "latest",
   "theme": "system"
}
Config: {
   "channel": "latest",
   "theme": "system"
}
Channel:  latest
objc[81831]: Class WebSwapCGLLayer is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/libANGLE-shared.dylib (0x21a495b50) and /Applications/Anytype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLESv2.dylib (0x1072e93c8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Error returned: <dictionary: 0x1e5286530> { count = 1, transaction: 0, voucher = 0x0, contents =
	"XPCErrorDescription" => <string: 0x1e52866c8> { length = 18, contents = "Connection invalid" }
}
native addon init
mw jsaddon: v0.19.2
(node:81830) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: An object could not be cloned.
    at EventEmitter.t.ipcRendererInternal.send (node:electron/js2c/renderer_init:85:328)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (node:electron/js2c/renderer_init:81:357)
(Use `Anytype --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)
(node:81830) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 1)
2022/08/12 14:20:47 Assert failed
github.com/dgraph-io/badger/y.AssertTrue
	/Users/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/badger@v1.6.2/y/error.go:55
github.com/dgraph-io/badger/y.CompareKeys
	/Users/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/badger@v1.6.2/y/y.go:129
github.com/dgraph-io/badger.(*levelHandler).initTables.func2
	/Users/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/badger@v1.6.2/level_handler.go:72
sort.quickSort_func
	/Users/runner/hostedtoolcache/go/1.17.6/x64/src/sort/zfuncversion.go:154
sort.Slice
	/Users/runner/hostedtoolcache/go/1.17.6/x64/src/sort/slice.go:20
github.com/dgraph-io/badger.(*levelHandler).initTables
	/Users/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/badger@v1.6.2/level_handler.go:71
github.com/dgraph-io/badger.newLevelsController
	/Users/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/badger@v1.6.2/levels.go:178
github.com/dgraph-io/badger.Open
	/Users/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/dgraph-io/badger@v1.6.2/db.go:297
github.com/ipfs/go-ds-badger.NewDatastore
	/Users/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/ipfs/go-ds-badger@v0.2.7/datastore.go:156
github.com/anytypeio/go-anytype-middleware/pkg/lib/datastore/clientds.(*clientds).Run
	/Users/runner/work/go-anytype-middleware/go-anytype-middleware/pkg/lib/datastore/clientds/clientds.go:154
github.com/anytypeio/go-anytype-middleware/app.(*App).Start
	/Users/runner/work/go-anytype-middleware/go-anytype-middleware/app/app.go:168
github.com/anytypeio/go-anytype-middleware/core/anytype.StartNewApp
	/Users/runner/work/go-anytype-middleware/go-anytype-middleware/core/anytype/bootstrap.go:84
github.com/anytypeio/go-anytype-middleware/core.(*Middleware).AccountSelect
	/Users/runner/work/go-anytype-middleware/go-anytype-middleware/core/account.go:570
github.com/anytypeio/go-anytype-middleware/clientlibrary/service.AccountSelect
	/Users/runner/work/go-anytype-middleware/go-anytype-middleware/clientlibrary/service/service.pb.go:712
github.com/anytypeio/go-anytype-middleware/clientlibrary/service.CommandAsync.func1
	/Users/runner/work/go-anytype-middleware/go-anytype-middleware/clientlibrary/service/service.pb.go:3293
runtime.goexit
	/Users/runner/hostedtoolcache/go/1.17.6/x64/src/runtime/asm_arm64.s:1133
1 Like

Hey @kira that sounds quite bad… I suspect you already checked out the first link in this topic:

Sync problems, White screen or not responding, high resource consumption - How To - Anytype Community.

in the relevant posts, someone suggested to reinstall (which should be fine as longs as your Objects were all synced to the backup node):

Did you already share your logs to support@anytype.io?

Yeah it is pretty bad. Reinstalling worked, thanks for the tip. Anytype has some good ideas but it’s just too unstable to use for serious work right now. The crashes and bugs are very disruptive. I know this is an alpha test but it’s been alpha for years at this point. The focus should be on stability and worry about improvements later.

1 Like

Thanks for your honest “review”. I fully understand that these kind of disruptions can be a dealbreaker, depending on how you are using the software. I’ve been lucky so far to not have experienced any serious issues (*knocks on wood*).
I think I speak for my fellow mods and the Anytype team if I say that we value you input so far nonetheless, and I hope to see you back later this year when it’s expected to come out of the alpha status into public beta :slight_smile: .
Edit: shall I mark this topic as solved as you should now be able to export your data out of Anytype?

1 Like

No