How to add a simple inline date that is not a relation

Hi all, was wondering how to simply add an inline date when typing some notes.

For example: “refer to diary entry on 2/2/22”

In Notion you can do @Today and you get the date selector.

Was wondering if there was a simple way to do this with Anytype?

There isn’t a date selector for adding inline dates but you can add the date manually by @2022-02-02 or @today. Video showing the process is given below

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the response Prithvvi.

I’ve tried that and it works. However when you click on it, it seems to be a separate object and not like a “smart date” in Notion whereby you can click on the “@Today” and you get a popup calendar where you can select a date.

I guess I am still wrapping my head around the concept of Objects in Anytype.

1. Why do I seem to get a read-only Date object when doing what you showed in the video? Meaning I can click into it but there’s nothing I can do to interact with the object.
  2. Does Anytype have a global view of ALL your objects? Like there doesn’t seem to be a way to organize objects in any hierarchy on the sidebar. With Notion you see all your pages nested in your sidebar. Because without a global view of all your objects isn’t it easy to lose objects (or pages) you’ve created in the past if you never linked to it?

Sorry if my questions are a bit unclear as I am still making sense of this.

1. It seems like currently the dates that you get trough the method you used are treated as objects, while the dates using relations are not. IIRC everything will be an object later on.

2. All objects in Anytype are in one database. When you link to them, you’re just linking to them, so that when you delete that link, only the link is deleted and that object is still in the database. So there are no subpages as such. But those links will be shown in the new sidebar if you press the toggle next to the object.

Current sets (Notion databases) can only be used on one type so you can’t have one set to show all of your objects. What you probably want to do as of know is to just create a set for every object you have and that way you will be able to find any object you have in your database.

2 Likes

Cheers for the response isle9.

I am pretty clear on point 2 now thanks to your explanation. So all objects are in one DB. The only way to see all your objects is to have a set for every object type.

However on point 1 I am still struggling to distinguish between a relation and an object.

I’ve read the docs Relation - Anytype Docs and it seems relations are attributes of an object but don’t get the implications between making a date using “@Today” (the method used in the video above) versus making a date using a relation?

Hi, so I think we can use notion as an example for demonstrating the difference between the relation & object in the dates aspect. (I don’t know Notion that much but I think I understand this)

Objects

So, in notion when you create a inline date using @today it gives a date selector which is not an option anytype gives (I think this could be a feature request). But both have the same use: inline date,

the difference in anytype is that everything is treated as an object, hence the date is also an object & clickable though we can’t do anything in it (you can ponder over the relations of the date & you will see you change or add anything). Pictures showing both are given below

In short, the date is just an inline date like in Notion but its treated as an object so its clickable and it doesn’t has a date selector like in Notion which could be a feature request.

Relations

Now coming onto relations, when you create a table database (or any) in Notion it has properties which act as an attribute for the item (page), which can be used when you filter the items through the properties (attributes). In this case you filter it through the due date (or any).

Now in Anytype when you create a date relation it gives the date selector and you choose the date which acts as a relation (attribute) of the object just like in Notion. So when you create a set of the objects & want to filter through the due date (or any), there comes the relation handy. Videos showing both are given below

I hope this helps a bit and Feel free to correct me, as I am also learning the in and outs of Anytype :smile:
The date selector in inline date can be a feature request as it will make it a smart date & easier

1 Like

Relations themselves are also objects and relation is just an object type. In theory, everything is supposed to be an object in Anytype, although I’m not sure how much of that is implemented as of now.

A good way to think about it is like this:
When you link to any object, or in your case a specific date, you’re just linking to that object. Relations are supposed to provide context for the links. If you link to a date, you have no idea if that date is supposed to be a due date or a start date etc. If you use a relation called due date and then choose a date, now you know, or at least Anytype knows what that’s supposed to be. You can ofc. provide context outside of the link for yourself, but Anytype won’t get that.

Also, it seems like the current default date type which you can find in your library has nothing to do with the dates you use in relations. So if you use @ to link something to a date, and then use relations to link other stuff to a date, you won’t be able to find all of them in one place.

1 Like

Thanks @Prithvvi for the thorough response and the tests you did on Notion! From your screenshots and videos I can see they both serve the same use: inline date. But the difference in Anytype is the date is an object but it has no date selector functionality though that could be a future feature request.

@isle9 thanks so now I get that in theory, everything is supposed to be an object in Anytype. Though I’m wondering surely that doesn’t mean EVERYTHING is an object?

Correct me if I am wrong but blocks are not objects am I right?

And if they are then I am wondering what’s the rationale behind having EVERYTHING be an object? Does everything need to be an object? What are the pros and cons I am missing? For example a paragraph or a hyperlink or a simple date? Am wondering why do these need to be an object?

Using this date example, as @Prithvvi has shown, the date object does nothing, you click on it and you go to the Object Canvas for the date but you can’t actually do anything useful with it and if anything would probably confuse new users.

Thanks in advance, appreciate your thoughts!

Hi @tom-rutherford, glad you understood the above.

Blocks aren’t objects, they are the building blocks of the object’s canvas and I think paragraph & hyperlink are not an object but the date is.

I think you are right in saying that a simple date need not be an object as it will confuse new users. And do tell me if you did the feature request.

As for understanding the rationale behind why is everything an object you can read the Docs or Get Started Page in Anytype to understand more about it.

Thanks @Prithvvi I haven’t actually made a feature request. I’m not sure how to do it as I’m still new to this forum. I’m guessing it is as simple as simply creating a post here Feature Requests - Anytype Community?

In terms of objects I’ve read Object - Anytype Docs now and it says blocks are the contents of objects so they are not objects themselves. So it makes sense that elements like a Notion-style smart date picker should probably not be objects themselves but rather just a block/content item within an object.

1 Like

Yes, you need to create a post in the feature requests category

Yup, they can be the content item we get by pressing / or any other way. You can mention this in the feature request.