How I find and update to the last Anytype-Version for Android?

Hi,
I’m not sure about Apps not listed in Google’s «Play Store»…

Situation

Today I thought, maybe there is an update for anytype because of the Problem with win-sync. Sync to and from Windows 10 is not working or very slow - #17 by _Martin

So I opened the mac OS (my daly-machine) to check. And there I had to click on «Check for updates».
Surprisingliy, there was an update to «Version: 0.27.0». I updated the Mac OS App.

Next I tried with my android smartphone.
But there I could NOT find the button «check for update»…
Normally for Play Store Apps there will be an «Auto-Update» when some updates for an app are available.
But what is about apps that are run on APK?

Questions

1. Is there an auto-update-build-in solution in Anytype Android-App?

2. If not: Is there a button/solution to manually check about new updates in the App?

3. If not: Is there a place to find the currently newest verision? (Problem see part below)

Problem

If not, it is hard to figure out, if the current version is «up-to-date». Because in the «Latest news» about release notes : Release Notes - Anytype Community
There is ilsted «Anytype Android 0.6.1»
BUT I have 0.7.0-alpha on my Android…

Solution

Is there a updated place/website with the newest version-history?
If not, the linked Release Notes should at least updated to «Anytype Android 0.7.0-alpha»!

Would be great to get the information about the currently «newest» Android-Version from Anytype.

Best regards
Martin

If you’re using an apk, I don’t think there’s a way to auto-update.
But Anytype is on the Play Store, so you can use that version for auto-updates.

You can also check it here https://download.anytype.io/ We try to keep the versions consistent but it can be delayed sometimes.

1 Like

Hi @isle9,
Thank you for your help.
Great with the Anytype on Play Store. Will be new, or there was an information in the onboarding-process about to download the app…

Ah I found the page again under download.anytype.io. There is downloadable
Android(0.8.2).

Question 1:

=> Do you or does anybody know the verision from the Play-Store?
Maybe I’m blind or to stupid, but I can’t find the Version of Anytype App in the Play-Store description.

@isle9: Do you have Playstore-Version installed? If so, could you check your version of Anytype?

Question 2:

=> Is it possible to install the primary installed APK-Version parallel with the Play-Store Version?
=> Does anybody know the right approach so I do not messed-up the Data or the Apps? Deinstall first APK? OR exactly NOT?

Question 3:

=> Is there an Advantage to staying with the primary APK-Version? (Sometimes Google does not allow all function in PlayStore)

Question 4:

=> if there is an advantage with APK-Version to update, should I install the current 0.8.2 without do anything special? (Will this take-over all my settings and data’s?)

Hi @Angelo,
Thank you for the link. I found it also by «remebering» and try and error with url :blush:.

Do you have any experiences about Q1-4 below.
=> Is there an Advantage about the APK-Version at all?
=> What is the best update-process for APK-Version? Or switch-approach from APK to Google PlayStore Version?

1 Like

Yes, you don’t need to use Google’s Play store to get the software. Not everyone can or wants to use Google’s services to get apps.

If you want automatic updates: go with the Google Play store. If you don’t mind manually downloading and installing new versions and don’t want Google to have a peek at what you install: go with APK files :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HI @sambouwer,
Thank you for your help and the mindest «peek at what you install».
Great explanation :sunglasses:

Best regards
Martin

1 Like

Am I right to guess that Anytype will be hosted on F-Droid after it goes open-source?

Also, you could use the Aurora Store if you don’t want to use the Play Store.

1 Like

I’m not sure what kind of release channels are planned (not version like Stable, Beta, and Bleeding edge, but like Google Play, F-droid, MS Store, Flatpacks, etc.), but I’ll gather some of the topics in which similar questions are asked.

1 Like

I would assume as well, but maybe @AndroidTeam can a give more reliable answer?

1 Like

A Flatpack version would definitely be appreciated. :blush:

See here for the topic I just created for an overview:

3 Likes

Great Idea! :+1:
Thank you :pray: