First Impression: Potential and thing's I'd like to see

First I’d like to state my “background”, I used to use Notion for almost everything until file size and offline use became an issue. From there I changed to Obsidian md, which is my “daily driver” today. Note that all of my use is personal (I have no need to share my notes or collaborate) and I’ve only been using AnyType for a weekend, so there might be some issues I haven’t run into or things I just didn’t figure out how to do yet, take my words here with a grain of salt. :sweat_smile:

The things I like so far:

• Offline use
  • Layout and UI look good
  • / commands for easy access
  • “Drag and drop” text elements
  • Good customization options
  • Easy syncing between devices
  • support for
  • Support for most used files
  • Code snippets with support for A LOT of languages

Comparing to Notion:

When trying to reproduce my Notion experience, AnyType is basically flawless, apart from inline, calendar and kanban (which I believe are all planned to be added, so no issues here). It’s easy to use, I could sync with my iPadOS (emulating an iphone app) and Android smartphone with no issues, the interface is very clean and easy to understand. Being able to locally store my files and being open source is a HUGE plus.
I would choose this over Notion for sure.

Comaring to Obsidian md:

Compared to Obsidian, however, there is a long way to go. While obsidian’s learning curve is much steeper, community plugins make it a beast that’s very hard to take down.
Templates are lacking on AnyType, while I can create an object however I want, I missed some ways to “automate” stuff.
For example, both on Notion and Obsidian I had templates for class notes with spaced repetition tasks set for a day, a week and a month automatically, those would show on my “home” page (with an inline dataset on Notion and a plugin for visualizing metadata - the “relations” equivalent on Obsidian)
Obsidian also lets me create my own macros (again, via plugins) that make inserting stuff much easier. Using buttons, I can easily append text to the end of a file, or change the “relations” of a file as I want. I also can execute multiple actions (create a daily note, using a daily template, with a chosen name + today’s date and link it on my journals page).
Obsidian also lets me edit a link, so, for example, I can refer to “Microeconomics class 01 - 10/02/2022” just as “class 01” on my Microeconomics page.
AnyType’s sync function and overall UI/UX are miles ahead of Obsidian’s, but for me, that’s just not enough to change

I also miss:

• Graphs
  • Tables (simple and with basic functions)
  • A place to see all my files (besides the history tab or a set file)
  • Notifications/reminders
  • Folders or a way to add more tabs to the home screen
  • Being able to search for a page (right now, if I clear the history I won’t be able to find it)
  • Being able to search for words or #
  • Being able to access notes without the app (without having to manually export them)

Another thing, I didn’t really like are the number of preset templates (types) and relations. I don’t know if it’s just a way to show examples of what the app can do, but in my opinion it made the interface a bit “cluttered”.
For example, for the “task” type relation, there are 7+ hours of sleep, healthy eatin, journaling, etc as examples, I don’t need those and would like to be able to delete or hide them, for those specific cases, it’s good enough that users can create/delete their own as we like. I think in that case, less is more…

Overall, I thought AnyType was a great app, considering the features to come, I think there is great potential and I’m looking forward to making this my “life operational system” daily driver, however, in it’s current state, I’d lose more than I’d get switching from Obsidian. It works really well as a simple note taking app with extras, but right now It’s “just” that.
I will be using it as a “second” app for now, but I’m sure it is on it’s way to become the best of them all. Good luck devs, you’re on the right path!

9 Likes

You sound a lot like me! :smile: I’m still using Obsidian a lot too, but Anytype part-time at least. And after all it is an alpha, so not really ready yet for full-time use.

I agree that one of Obsidian’s greatest strengths is its plugin-based architecture and the early availability of a public SDK. This, along with a very healthy, open community has resulted in an incredible number and variety of plugins very quickly. Fortunately Anytype also plans to have an SDK/API. I believe the local API will come first, I think some time in the first half of this year, so that will be a good start. Once Anytype becomes fully open source that should theoretically let it go even beyond where Obsidian is, which could be truly incredible. It is a while before we can see if that happens, but there is certainly a lot of potential!

To briefly address a few of your other points:

• Tables (“simple tables”) are planned
  • I agree an “all files”/“all pages” view of some kind is needed. There are some requests for various approaches. We’ll see what ends up getting implemented, but I’m sure there will be something.
  • Notifications are definitely planned
  • For the Home screen, I favorA total “rethink” of the “Home” screen/concept: custom “home” page, etc. :grin: Once in-line sets become available, why be limited to what you can do with “tabs”?
  • Search will be (and is being) improved

I have not yet seen any clear statement about what is going to be done to make things more usable with all the default relations, and many of those relations really must be of little/no benefit to anyone (you point out “7+ hours of sleep” as a great example). Yes, these are provided in order to give examples of what can be done, but I do not think this is a great way to do it. So I hope more clear plans will be articulated for that soon. One quick/simple improvement would simply be two totally separate menus (but perhaps with filtering that combines results from both), one being just “Built-in/Default Relations”, the other being “User Relations”. That way you can just click to User Relations (or maybe it just defaults there), and you can fully ignore the existing ones except when you want to see them.

5 Likes

I think the best solution is still to be able to remove the default one, because even if you make this kind of interface, the default relationships are displayed in many places and in many menus inside Anytype.
Uncluttering these Relations menus everywhere would be so easy if we keep only the ones that are important to us.

Not to mention the fact that we might want to create a Relation that has the same name as a default one, and in that case we could also benefit from deleting them.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree. Actually I think perhaps the best solution might be no default Relations, and everywhere you can create or add new Relations, in the menu would be all your Custom ones, along with a single option “Add Relations from Library” or “Add Default Relations” or something, which would access all the default ones for you to add only the ones you want/need. That would be much nicer than having to delete the defaults, and would still do a good job of making people aware that there are some pre-made relations available.

2 Likes

You right, clearly the best option :smiley:

1 Like