I’m not really a fan of the website. I try to explain why and i draw up a mockup on what i would personally change.
Look at the websites:
- https://www.darktable.org/ - Logo, name and explanation what it is. Its great. I know instantly what i can expect. The site is 1,41MB and everything is there instantly.
- Krita | Digital Painting. Creative Freedom. - Smaller Logo in the Navigation-Bar, explanation what it is. I know instantly what i can expect. The site is 1,37MB and everything is there instantly.
- https://www.gimp.org/ - Big Logo and Name, description there. I know what i can expect. Website a 1,45MB despite quite some pictures.
- https://element.io/ - Logo in navbar, no name, but i instantly know what to expect. Messaging. Bigger, 2,9MB, but still loading fast.
- https://www.notion.so/ - Logo and name clearly visible in navbar, no instant description, its with reading further down, but its there. Nothing flashy to distract. 14,95MB all loaded (WTF?) but it still loads instantly.
- https://obsidian.md/ - Logo and name clearly visible in navbar, instant description what it does and a little bit how it does. Just 1,76MB and works perfectly.
- https://affine.pro/ - No logo, name reasonable big in navbar, navbar is not that big, instant description what it wants to be. 3,5MB, but loads really fast
- https://anytype.io/ - No logo, just a name in navbar, navbar is tiny, a weird moving year 2000 banner on top. Not really info there what it is or does besides “It works like your brain”. 4,36MB and still it loads awfully slow, especially compared to the 15MB notion-behemoth.
So, if i visit the website what i get is:
- Why is it loading? Is it using flash?
- What is this moving banner on top? Thats oldscool…
- Is the colour changing? Thats weird.
- checking script https://www.amplitude.com/ (tracking) and google tag manager, hmhm.
- It works like my brain (okay, but what is working like it? What does it do?)
- It respects my privacy? Google Tag Manager? Why not https://plausible.io/ or https://matomo.org/?
- Its owned by anyone. (Yeah, sure, might be open source? But whos the team?)
- Okay, picture, with everything?
- Oh god, it force-stop the scrolling - leave page
- It works like my brain (Yeah, read that before, but… okay, stuff is connected?)
- Objects are connected (what exactly is an object?)
- Play with object (uhuh?)
- → ah first info, i see what it can do? Will do? Oh, there is tiny text below the picture.
- More info! No storage and upload limits. Nice. Server where? How does it finance?
- Wait, no server? Just local? So this both means no sync between devices? Damn.
- Its private. I hope so, if its without sync.
- Ah, Open Source. Maybe?
- Some quotes.
- Register (no mention, that you will get no confirmation e-mail, you will just get an invitation to a video-call where you just can listen without your cam on and you can ask stuff afterwards and after THAT you get a Code for account-creation)
- Infotime! Free and open, nice.
- Some links.
I showed the website to friends and and asked what they think about AnyType without giving them more information about it, these are the actual quotes from some:
“What does it do? What is it for? Who is creating this?”
“Its some kind of personal assistant? However, the website is not particularly well designed in the sense of being visually appealing and crisply informative. And I find the font choice (size, type, etc.) so terrible that I have to mention that again :p”
“I don’t quite understand what AnyType is supposed to do. The website, although flashy, has surprisingly little info. Is it supposed to be an online IDE?”
The website is flashy and pretty no-descriptive. I removed all CSS to look at the written content without getting distracted(has someone done this before launching? Serious question). Where is the info its using IPFS? There is so much missing.
Here is a link to the “without-CSS-version”:
And i tried to come up with a mockup that i think has at least a little bit more initial information about anytype:
I don’t want to be rude and i hope it is received as constructive criticism, but i think the website is a big problem for the project and is holding everything back. I think if someone ist just reading on anywhere about the project without much explanation they will leave the website pretty fast. And i hope its understandable what i mean, otherwise feel free to ask
All the best!