Find and replace words with a reference to an object

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

When building up a knowledge database, its hard to know if you will deepdive into a topic. So when referencing a topic, you just type it in plain text. Then sometime later, you deepdive into the topic. However, you have no way to relate the new topic’s object to all the other objects that reference it.

For example:

• I create a journal set with objects for daily reviews
  • in most of my daily reviews, I write about my manager “Chris” in plain text
  • After 6 months, I decide to create a contacts set with an object for “Chris”
  • I want to know all the days that I talk about “Chris” in a relational manner
  • I would have to use the main search bar to search “chris” and manually go back and replace “Chris” with the @“Chris”

Describe the solution you’d like

• Once I create the object “Chris”
  • there is a “find and replace” functionality - much like a word processor
  • Search for “Chris” and shuffle through all results and choose to replace it with the referenced link to the “Chris” object
  • all resulting features available to referenced objects are now active

Describe alternatives you’ve considered

Manual search and replace.

Additional context

I have tried many tools and I am not sure I have seen this functionality at all. This could be a real differentiator. If you think about it, its so necessary if you want to build a second brain because there is no way you could plan out all the terms or phrases that you should create objects for but when you do it would be a waste if you did not connect it to previous mentions!

10 Likes

Good one.

Even better if the matches are shown first in a preview list, allowing user to unselect any occurrences that are not related (for example, some other person named Chris)

I have tried many tools and I am not sure I have seen this functionality at all.

Remnote has this.

3 Likes