Entire Block "Turns into Object" when partial text is selected

WHAT IS THE BUG

When you highlight a word or set of words (concept) within a block and right click to convert to an object, it converts the entire block into an object instead of just the selected text. Not being able to do this basically ruins the function of blocks and linking.

HOW TO REPRODUCE IT

1. Open a page
  2. Write a sentence Eg. “Elon Musk is the CEO of Tesla”
  3. Highlight Elon Musk
  4. Right Click and click convert into object (Human)
  5. Elon Musk does not turn into an object, but the whole block, “Elon Musk is the CEO of Tesla” becomes the human object.

THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOR

If I highlight “Elon Musk”, he should become his own object. Same if I highlight “Tesla” I should be able to make it an object.

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Mac OS 12.4
  • Device:
    Macbook Pro 16in M1 Max
  • Anytype Version:

3 Likes

I guess this one is similar, but it’s marked solved… Not sure if that is correct…

@Oshyan what do you think?

That thread is a bit of mess :melting_face:. It’s several conversations going on at once, each describing something slightly different. Link to Object is distinct functionality from Turn into Object, although @gaszdf is demonstrating precisely the same thing as referenced above.

2 Likes

This report has been added to our issue tracker and received by the Development Team.

2 Likes

I have noticed the same thing.
Thanks.

+1, any news?

When i’m writing an article, frequently i find myself in the following position, when i started building my Body of Knowledge/Second Brain. Example:

“Eleanor Rosch: uma das eminentes psicólogas cognitivas do nosso tempo e professora do Departamento de Psicologia da University of California em Berkeley. Autora de The Embodied Mind, livro que escreveu com Francisco Varela e Evan Thompson.”

I need that Eleanor Rosch, Francisco Varela and Evan Thompson be transformed in a Human Type Object, for further elaboration and The Embodied Mind a Book Type Object, also for further detailed writing.

Nowadays, i’m only able to create manually the new object. Would be very useful to Create It “in a second” as possible in Obsidian, for example, to complete the information in a second moment, not stopping the flow of writing.

Anyblock has Turn into object

• in the block menu
  • in the text menu
    But, yeah, actually, it does the same things :confused: