Emoji selection improvements

There’s a few improvements I would like to see to the emoji selection menu. It already got a lot faster recently but still pops in sometimes when scrolling down, though this is only a minor inconvenience.

The main improvements I would like to see are:

• Easily being able to jump through different categories of emojis. It already seems like emojis are categorized into groups like “recently used”, “smileys & people”, “animals & nature” etc. It would be great if when the user knows they need an emoji from a specific category, they could simply jump to that category instantly without having to scroll all the way. Quick idea for this is a category toolbar at the bottom of the emoji menu after a little separator so you can click through the categories.

• Another thing I’d like to see it more comprehensive emoji tagging. It frequently occurs that I use text to search for an emoji and Anytype doesn’t seem to understand which emoji I mean. Example: :joy: does not show up when you search for ‘laugh’.
    • If I remember correctly there is also a keyboard shortcut to open the emoji menu in normal text, but this shortcut is not shown in the shortcuts help menu. It would be nice if this was added.
4 Likes

This may be a lot of work. It seems Anytype uses the default descriptions that these emojis came with. At least other programs with these emojis are using the same descriptions.