Embed PDF link in object

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Embed PDF by pasting a URL into an object.
I found this Topic Embed PDFs in pages but I think the functionality needs to be improved a little: nowadays it already works if I paste a URL ending with *.pdf , but if I try to embed a shared PDF, for example, via Google Drive or Dropbox it doesn’t work as I would like.
Also, it would be nice to be able to resize the embedded PDF pane.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Here you can see a short video captured from my PC that illustrates the current operation and how it could be improved taking inspiration from how it works in Notion, which I believe implements a quite effective method.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

Embedding PDFs in objects using a URL, rather than uploading the file to the space provided by Anytype, saves storage space. A PDF can take up several hundred megabytes, we only have 1 GB available and it is a shame to waste it if it is possible to embed a link to the file hosted elsewhere instead.

Embedding pdf files into objects is a different feature.
Embeds are coming with the next release, although these two sites won’t be supported in the beginning.

2 Likes

Thank you. I hope Anytype supports these sites soon, because I think many of us have stored PDF files on these popular cloud storage solutions. It would be a significant plus to be able to simply paste the sharing link to find the documents directly accessible. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes