Duplicate object updates content in both instances

WHAT IS THE BUG

When I duplicate a task object and fill the activities in the first instance, it also duplicates the same activities in the second object.

HOW TO REPRODUCE IT

1. Create a task set
  2. Create a Kanban view
  3. Duplicate it
  4. Create tasks in the first Kanban
  5. See that the tasks are also duplicated in the second Kanban

THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOR

I would expect to have independent tasks in both Kanbans

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Windows 11
  • Device:
    Acer Sw1ft 3
  • Anytype Version:

Hi @Dany thanks for reporting this. If I understand your steps correctly, this is actually the expected behavior of Anytype. When you create a Set, it comes with a default view call All, showing all Objects of a specified type (at this moment, a Set can only show Objects of a single Object Type). The Set does not contain Objects, but it displays a Set of Objects based on filters configured for a view in a Set.

For example, when I create some Objects:

• Harry Potter (Object Type “Book”)
  • Life of Pi (Object Type “Book”)
  • JK Rowling (Object Type “Author”)

Then I create a Set for Books

By default, I will see the “Harry Potter” and the “Life of Pi” Object.

I could create a new view, for example a Kanban, but without changing the filters, that view will also show those two books.

If I create another Object in the Book set, it will be shown in both Views.

You can setup different filters for your Set views to only show the Objects you want to see in each Set.

For example, one Kanban view with no filters (All) with a column for the status (read, not read, etc.), and one new view where you filter on books that are not read (Reading list).

Does that clarify how you can show Objects in Sets in Anytype?

I think @Dany is saying that after the set has been duplicated, anything new added to either of them, appears in both sets rather than just the one it was created in.

Exactly. Thanks!

Bug record

1 Like

This report has been added to our issue tracker and received by the Development Team.

This is how sets work now, they’re more like queries. Duplicated set = duplicated query criteria.