Data directory isn't deleted after logout

WHAT IS THE BUG

When I logout from my current account, I check the data directory where the space files are found and it’s still there without a byte of change in size meaning that all of my data are still there and can be copied.

HOW TO REPRODUCE IT

1. Create a space
  2. Logout
  3. Check data directory

THE EXPECTED BEHAVIOR

To delete/reset the data from the previous logged in account

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

N/A

SYSTEM INFORMATION

• Device:
    Laptop/PC
    Windows 10/11 Home
  • Anytype Version:
    v.0.35.1 / v.0.35.2
  • Tech Info:
    Device: DESKTOP-8VFVMAU
    OS version: win32 x64 10.0.19045
    App version: 0.35.1
    Build number: build on 2023-09-19 14:06:47 +0000 UTC from at #7ce99d973ed8c5c5020c89fc7954b246b51b04f3(v0.28.5)
    Library version: v0.28.5
    Account ID: A98SU3ifivwAQvn4X23P3o5jJSH8gvMd9mJAbns5GRvPrbh8
    Analytics ID: undefined
    Device ID: undefined

Why do you expect your data to be deleted after you log out? Iirc, it’s not even delete if you uninstall Anytype.

1 Like

Data should still be encrypted, so no one can use them. It should be safe even though you can see the directory. :thinking:

2 Likes

Isn’t the data stored unencrypted on the device?
Yes, it isn’t. From the docs:

The local Anytype data folder itself is not encrypted. We have a prerequisite that the user’s machine is non-compromised and trusted. Basically, if a device is compromised, there are plenty of attack vectors, including RAM scanning and passphrase keylogging, which is useless. We will definitely make additional encryption later. For now, we recommend turning HDD encryption and device password on.

As for the subject, I agree with the author, it’s reasonable to expect that data should be removed after logging out. In my opinion, this should be a future feature request rather than a bug report.

2 Likes

@Filip

So that no one with access to my computer or hard drive can just copy and paste my entire data.

Just as @C.c and @dzshch mentioned.

1 Like