Closing the app only hides the foreground app

Describe the bug
The close button of the app only hides the foreground process while the background process are still running including the tray icon. Opening the app from the tray displays the following error. Killing the background process displays the same error at times

To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Open the app and use it for a while
  2. Close the app

Expected behavior
Clicking the close button should close the app and kill all the background process gracefully

System Information:

• Anytype Version: 0.21.1
6 Likes

@lynxlove Thank you for your notice! It has been added to the bug tracker

I experienced the same behaviour, using the same OS, but using Anytype 0.21.5.

It happened after I left Anytype window opened all night long. This message was being displayed at the screen in the morning.

The error is not popping up anymore, however the issue is much more prevalent after the recent update (0.22.1). Closing the app leaves the background process running until it is manually killed. Opening the app again makes several instance of the app running in parallel

Describe the bug
When you close Anytype it keeps multiple processes running. These need to be closed via the task manager before you can open/use anytype again. If not closed, anytype stays black when opened.

To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Close anytype
  2. Check task manager
  3. Close all anytype processes
  4. Open anytype

Expected behavior
All instances of anytype should close when closing anytype. Anytype should open normaly when opened afterwards, without the need of closing tasks via task manager.

System Information:

• Anytype Version: Anytype Desktop 0.23.5]

Additional context

1 Like

It seems to me the behavior when clicking close/X might be intentionally only closing the foreground application, although not expected by users, like mentioned here: Anytype minimizes when clicking on the close (X) in the top left - Bug Reports - Anytype Community. Maybe an unwanted side effect is that the application is either not gracefully closed (if my assumption about the developer’s intention is wrong) or not gracefully hidden.

i wonder whether there is any programmatic difference between the (many) ways to close Anytype:

(I guess these options are the same and trigger the same code/action in the application)

and

and

and

Summarized what happens for me (Windows 11, Desktop version 0.23.5):

• Anytype > Quit (or ctrl + q) in both the window menu and systray menu seem to consistently gracefully quit Anytype.
  • “Window > Close”, “File > Close” and “X” (top right corner of the window) all have the same behavior that the foreground app is closed but the Anytype processes stay running. In Windows Task manager the processes are “downgraded” from Apps to Background processes that can only be forcefully closed in Task manager:
    Anytype happily running in the foreground;

Closed via File > Close or X:

Edit: after using “Window > Close”, “File > Close” or “X” I can still use the systray to reopen Anytype or gracefully close the application (Quit). Opening the application again by clicking the shortcut on the taskbar or double clicking the systray icon does not do anything, while I would expect the application to reactive/open.

3 Likes

This seems to be resolved in Anytype for Windows 0.25.0.