Client-side email integration

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
The proposal is for client-side email integration such as emailjs.com integration so that users can supply their own credentials and SMTP provider and integrate email into Anytype

Describe the solution you’d like
Client-side email service credentials and inegrations with things like:

1. Linking a date type column in an object with a trigger (i.e. due date triggers an email)
  2. Using an object as an email template
  3. “Send this note via email” option to send the note to someone outside the Anytype ecosystem.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
Nil

Additional context
Nil

7 Likes

While I would really like a good cross platform mail client, programing and maintaining it with all its quirks of mail and its security would take a lot of development resources.
I think this is more a thing for a plugin.
I would still like it a lot. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m also testing Skiff https://www.skiff.com/mail which seems similiar to Anytype, using E2E encyryption, IPFS, open-source etc with the advantage of email and tables.

2 Likes

I
Skiff isn‘t offline-first though but looks nice

3 Likes

That’s an important point - I completely missed that. I guess I assumed IPFS was always offline-first.

Anyway on the email side, it’s promising to see mail clients being created using web3 and hopefully that can be incorporated into Anytype, either in core or via a plugin so emails can be linked to objects.

2 Likes

So AnyType used to be described as an “operating system for life” or something along those lines. I think an email client being built in would be a nice feature if it could utilise IPFS by storing emails on there instead of a centralised server. I got this idea from Skiff who seem fairly similar to AnyType in the sense that they’re using IPFS to create a product similar to notion, because they have Skiff Mail which I think is currently in beta. Considering a use case for AnyType is a contacts manager, having an email feature could be interesting if they were integrated together.

4 Likes

It’s a very cool feature request. I believe it will be possible to make it happen when we will release API. ETA - 6 months.

On Skiff - it is e2e, but it’s client-server so there is no sovereignty. It’s not off-line first, you can’t self-host. The way they support IPFS is a joke because skiff is hugely centralized.

4 Likes

:100: There’s a trend right now of Orgs & brands matching some small vector of web3 and then officially declaring themselves as Web3.0 institutions in all their marketing. It’s shitty because it’s basically disinformation which just obfuscates the entire movement. I’m not trying to be sanctimonious about it but still… This is why a lot more open dialogues are needed so the public can separate the wheat from the chaff on this subject.

3 Likes