Breakdown of storage usage, and feature to find orphaned files

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

A recurring issue that’s been posted about on the forums is the large amount of storage that Anytype consumes. While this feature request would not solve this problem, I feel as this would provide a benefit to users to help manage their storage and see what’s taking it up.

Describe the solution you’d like

A breakdown of the storage consumed by Anytype into categories [e.g Files (including images, audio, video, PDF, etc), objects, and object revision history] would help users to visualize how Anytype takes up storage on disk, and when storage deletion features are implemented, allow them to delete the items directly from the interface.

A feature to find orphaned files (I’ve noticed that files which are removed from a object canvas are not removed from Anytype storage itself) may allow users to further free up storage.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
It is possible to view the amount of storage consumed by files by creating a Set from the various file Types (Image, Video, File, Audio, etc…), but this does not present the data in a visually appealing manner and does not show orphaned files. It also does not show the data occupied by storing revision history or pages, and doesn’t show the information in a unified interface (you must create a separate Set for each Type.)

Multiple sets are required to show all data taken up by files

A visual breakdown using a segmented bar would be more visually appealing and would be a better way to show the data

Additional context

11 Likes

Definitively interested in this. I just used Wiztree to analyse what’s taking up space on my disk, and the files in C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/<AnytypeID>/ipfslite/ are ridiculously large.

Most every file is exactly 1GB, which I imagine is because some larger file is chunked down to that size. Not sure why the files are so large - maybe it’s because I take screen clippings on a 4k screen and Anytype doesn’t compress them?

Anyhow, I’m more into saving the space than understanding why the space taken is so exorbitant. Perhaps the latter is a step to the former?

Thanks

1 Like