April 2021 Update

Hello there!

Spring has finally sprung for the entire Anyteam. We’re receiving vaccines, conference invites and narrowly avoiding tourists on our bicycles. The return to normality continues! I also hear the rustlings of object types and sets getting ready to leave hibernation…

Big updates to Anytype on mobile & desktop

So many of our updates to Anytype this last year focused on making necessary improvements to our backend services & infrastructure. This is why we were very proud when our latest update brought some excellent visual enhancements to Anytype. There are now more ways to customise the dashboard and page layout, allowing users to make Anytype uniquely theirs.

There are now over 400 active alpha testers, and over half of you are using Anytype to manage tasks in the real world. Thank you so much, everyone. :pray:

Speaking of mobile… Our iOS team are progressing quickly with Anytype for iPhone, and I’m delighted to share a preview below.

Join us on Discord

We have started a community Discord — which is still quiet for the moment — but I’m having a lot of fun with it so far. There are dedicated channels for a whole host of topics, and it’s a fun place to hang out and dig deeper into discussions.

You can join us here: [https://discord.gg/JWcFeTS89M](Discord)

The trouble with timezones

We’re going to be scaling up our onboarding sessions to hit our targets for June. Right now they’re held on a Thursday/Friday, around 16:00 UTC. I know this doesn’t always work for everyone, so I’m looking at adding some extra times to the calendar. There are a few options on the table currently, including an early onboarding at 09:00 UTC, weekend onboarding, or something more asynchronous. If you live in one of the many regions in the image below, please e-mail me and tell me how I can better accommodate you in the alpha and the community. My email is enda at anytype dot io.

Community moderators

More housekeeping from me. Our Discord joins an already-crowded community on Reddit, Telegram and Twitter. Answering questions and helping correct disinformation can be challenging, especially if you’re asleep when it happens!

We have the time zones UTC-1 to UTC+3 pretty well covered. But the rest of the world is still uncharted territory. If you’re based in either Asia or the Americas and think this could be fun, please send a message to enda at anytype dot io.

Thanks, everyone. Have a great month!

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better to capitalize on your own community’s forum rather than asking people to find information that is only available on Telegram or Discord?

Isn’t one of the principles of a community to be grouped together and avoid being scattered?

4 Likes

Agreed. I don’t have telegram and have tried to use the discord server but didn’t want to register/sign up to another service and found it required a lot more effort to find stuff.

I feel like your forums that look great and serve a purpose providing information would be a great location to keep it all.

4 Likes

Everyone has a preference. @_Aria you don’t care about telegram or discord, which for example, I do… I understand your choice, but it only happens because you have one, which I think is good. For example, I don’t want to use the forum on a daily basis, but I use telegram daily. And someone else may want to use only Reddit or Discord. There is a place for everyone. I don’t think it’s wrong to have “multiple communities”, again, it’s a matter of preferences. But I agree that the important information should be in the forum, as a “knowledge base”.

If you reduce the means of communication, you reduce communication. One example was given by @_Aria, if someone doesn’t want to register on discord, that person would be out of the community if you don’t have more options.

The only issue I’m having, is to understand what information you think that is not on the forums and should be. Could you elaborate?

Thanks for all the work @endac! In my job, I have to deal with various time zones daily, so I use Time Zone Converter – Time Difference Calculator. It’s a tool to convert a time to different time zones, you could add a few countries and see the time it would be on each one at a glance. Also, there is a dot with a color indicating the office hours on each timezone. They also have an International Meeting Planner – Find best time across Time Zones which I personally haven’t used, but may be of use for you and the team. Hope it helps!
PS: it’s also free :smiley:

This is precisely what bothers me too. I find it disappointing that this forum is neglected and mostly used to spot bugs.
In the absolute I do not see any inconvenience that there are several mediums of communication, but in my opinion:

1. The forum should be the headquarters of informations.
    It doesn’t seem normal to me that some members evoke important choices for the future of Anytype by evoking discussions that are not present on the forum and that the staff doesn’t care to inform the community’s forum about.

2. The others communication channels should all exist for a specific reason, e.g.­

• Youtube channel:
    To promote and demonstrate in video (but not to give hints about the future of Anytype in comments for example.)

• Discord:
    To discuss verbally during meetings, which the forum technically does not allow.
    (but if hints about the future of Anytype are mentioned, they should be posted on the forum)

• Telegram:
    No benefits, it’s a duplication of effort, it scatters topics, reactions, ideas.

­
I have no problem with using Telegram, but if you want to be everywhere, you are nowhere at your place.

3 Likes