Another sidebar on the right

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

I recommend adding another sidebar on the right.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Same as it’s done with the current sidebar.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

This would especially be good with the new sidebar that we’ll be getting soon where we’ll be able to fully customize it with widgets. Usually the text or the canvas is in the middle and there is a lot of unused space on the left and right. Sidebars help mitigate this and Obsidian is a great example. One problem with obsidian is that you can only add tabs to the sidebars, so if you have a tab that only has a small amount of info, it would still take the whole sidebar. The new Anytype widgets seem like they shouldn’t have this problem though.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

Obsidian sidebars

7 Likes

Hey @Filip, thanks! What info would you like to see on the right sidebar that’s missing on the left now?

2 Likes

I’ll give you an example on how I use the sidebars in Obsidian. On the left I usually put stuff that concern my whole vault. Stuff like favorites, recents and sets in Anytype are a good example. But on the right, I like to put things that concern the current object. Things like backlinks, outgoing links, outline of the object and many more advanced features.

Currently it makes no sense to implement this, but it would make a lot more sense with the new sidebar design that will use widgets.
Also, the right sidebar might be useful as a second pane/panel. Apps like Logseq and maybe Roam used it like that.

Here are some more examples of widgets that might be useful:

5 Likes

I like the idea and recently saw Capacities redesign their right sidebar. This means that the one on the right is only used for additional information, such as the table of contents, linked objects, and text stats.

I think the new sidebar in Anytype is great for overall navigation for your space. But when it comes to Table of contents and additional info on a per-object basis, a sidebar on the right would come in handy. I thinks the UX would be better compared to the non persistent relations pop up on the right side, which you can currently open to edit relations.

Maybe this is a freature request for a later stage, but since we get the widget system on left sidebar, maybe it’s not even that complicated to implement it on the left as well. :eyes:

Regarding usability of Table of Contents: Currently, a huge amount of chapters, let’s say for a book, is rather a painful experience. I have to scroll down for way too long until i reach the actual content. :pensive:

At the same time, when jumping to chapter 7 for example, let’s say i want to jump to chapter 3.2 now. Its not possible to do this instatly because i lost the ToC out of sight. A right sidebar would dramatically improve this.
This is what I mean:

6 Likes

Yes!! I agree with this. Painful :smiley:
I like how nimbus note made the outline works. I made a separated request here. I believe this is what you are looking for too.

1 Like

it would be a simple toggle to show or hide the outline that corresponds with the Htags on the documents as mentioned by jannis.

1 Like

Sneakpeak

2 Likes

Rather than just repeating information from the main panel, I would like to see one (or maybe multiple sidebar overlays) that could contain:

• tabs (when we get them)

• metadata that is not typically visible on the main panel, such as content length, creation date, last modified date, tags

• list of objects linked to and linked from

• list of objects that contain current object

1 Like

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

A navigation sidebar for an object, in which you can navigate through the different headings that you have in an object, without having to manually scroll until you find it. It will be very useful in large objects.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

It should be very similiar to what is found in several text editors, like Word.

Could be a button in the actual sidebar to change between the navigation sidebar for anytype and the navigation sidebar for the displayed object. It could also have two toggles which shows links from and links to.

10 Likes

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

A navigation sidebar for an object, in which you can navigate through the different headings that you have in an object, without having to manually scroll until you find it. It will be very useful in large objects.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

It should be very similiar to what is found in several text editors, like Word.

Could be a button in the actual sidebar to change between the navigation sidebar for anytype and the navigation sidebar for the displayed object. It could also have two toggles which shows links from and links to.

6 Likes

I would be very happy if this gets implemented. Could you check whether this feature request is similar enough to merge? I think the addition of your example image might clarify the linked feature request:

I don’t really understand what that request is about, but I believe it is for a different thing. He says something about linking different objects in a tree structure, but what I’m proposing is navigation bar only for the current displayed object.

I have to admit it is not the most early written feature request, but I was triggered by this part:

I thought that refers to something similar to the table of content command that is now available, but if you think it’s convenient i’m ok with merging.

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Table of contents that’s accessable without needing to scroll to a specific place on an object.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Take inspiration from Wikipedia. On desktop, there’s a table of contents that floats in the left sidebar, always available no matter where you are on the page (although it’s often pushed down by the language list, which sticks to the top :person_shrugging: ). On mobile, it’s a panel you can summon by swiping in from the right edge of the screen.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

I have a large grocery list (used more like a household inventory) organized with section headers. I currently have a TOC block at the top, but then I have to scroll up to the top to find it before I can jump to my target.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

I got nothing.

7 Likes

Great feature request!

5 Likes

A much-needed feature! If the contents of the page are really extensive — It would be really hard to jump in and jump out of various sections on the same object. The TOC is not user-friendly at the moment.

I think a good implementation would be an icon (collapsible) that rests on one of the corners, to expand the TOC.

Anytype already has one — the icon that can collapse the sidebar. Something similar to expand the TOC on command would be nice

1 Like

I would like to present the rightside sidebar of an app called Upnote (a great up and coming Evernote alternative). This sidebar has a lot of things I would love to see in Anytype, including an automated Table of Contents as requested in this topic.

This sidebar features Info, Word Count, Tags, Links (backlinks) and Table of Content) and I love it!

5 Likes