Last thursday, i was one of the many who attented the alpha group onboarding session and I’ve been using anytype since. I’ve been using mostly Obsidian the last few months. Although I tried Notion, I was turned off because it’s quite slow and doesn’t have offline functionality. I’m a psychologist with a PhD and although I’m working in the clinical field right now, I’m still interested in research and will probably pick up my research work quite soon. So, that’s where I’m coming from. I’m looking for a system to manage all my “personal life” as well as my work.
Because I’ve only really been using AnyType this weekend, I’m not going to write a detailed list with everything that’s good or bad (in my opinion), but overall I’m really satisfied! It’s an amazing looking piece of software, and I’m really happy to be able to use this both on linux (my primary OS) as well as Android and Windows. Although it’s missing quite a lot of functionality, it’s already pretty usable and I’m really looking forward to be seeing where it’s going to.
There are a few minor issues/annoyances I’ve noticed:
- I think it’s not possible to create a filter for tasks that are due today. Unless of course I change the date in the filter daily. I’d like to be able to create a filter in a set of tasks where only the tasks that are due for today are visible.
- On my Android device, if I mark a task as done, it doesn’t immediately disappears, only when I refresh that view (e.g., I go back to the main screen first and then return to my task set).
I think this has been mentioned before, but I’d like to link to other notes or pages in text. Like in Obsidian where you can surround a word with [] to link to that page. If I link to another page or note in AnyType, the link appears on the next line.
- Inline sets! I already voted for this feature and am happy to see this coming soon.
- This was also mentioned in a previous post and I don’t know if a feature request was already made (I’ll look into that), but it would be great to create an object from scratch without having to go to the main page first, then to objects et cetera.
- Syncing doesn’t work as fluent for me as in the group onboarding presentation. I often have restart my Android app (or desktop app) for changes to become visible. Also, I’d really like to be able to use my own server for syncing so I don’t have to have two devices open to sync.
Despite these issues, I really like using Anytype and will keep on using it. I also really enjoy the positive atmosphere in the community. Thanks for all your hard work!