An Inline-Set is more mighty then a normal Set!?!

Correct me if I write stupid nonsense …
Today I found out, that an Inline-Set can do something mighty, that a normal Set can’t do!

A normal Set forces me do define a query (choosing an Object Type) when I create it.
After that, the Set can catch only this one Object Type - maybe Tasks, or Pages, or Humans … but not all off them together.

An Inline-Set, on the other hand, can catch ALL Object Types.
It’s interested only on the Relations in the Filter settings, but not on the Object Type.
So it can catch Humans and Tasks and whatever. And it shows me all of that together in the same view.

I can’t believe it, that I use this program since more than six weeks daily and never have had a clue about this difference! <:-(
Maybe I oversee something even now and all off you is rolling the eyes about my stupidity, thinking that I use the program wrong and that I write nonsense?

OR …
… maybe all off you is deeply impressed now, thinking that I’m a true genius and an eye opener!
(Hope so!) :wink:

Whatever you think - this feature of the Inline-Sets is a real problem solver for me!
Finally I can catch all my Objects with a certain Tag. Or all persons - no matter if they have an own Human Object, or their name is elsewhere in a Page/Task … as long as it has a Name Relation.
WHY did I need weeks to find it out?

1 Like

Hi there @Code-Jack
I’m glad you’re exploring the app and discovering things.
As for the “see them all” set, you can choose the filter as “Creation date” and it will show you every single object in your space, you can narrow your query further using view’s filters.

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong but you could always do that with the normal Sets.

I think you always tried to create a set from the Object Library but you can also create sets from the Relations Library. There you can create a set based on a relation that all objects have, like creation date (as Hexara said) and create a set that catches all objects.

1 Like

Thanks @Hexara and @Jeroen for the answers!

You’re right, a normal Set can do the thing!
And (@Jeroen) I must admit, that I first misunderstood you, because I thought that I didn’t create the Set “from the Object Library”, nor from the Relations Library.

But now I’ve found out how it works, now it’s clear for me and I will try to describe it precisely, so that a new user can really understand the thing:

Wherever you are, create a Set in this way:

1. Use the “+” Button from the bottom menu (oder press Ctrl + n)
  2. Now you can choose the Objekt Type you want to create (look at the top of the workspace). There you’ll find “[Page] [Task] [Set] [Collection] [My Types]”.
    (There we choose “Set”)

And now the relevant thing:
A new Set is created and in left top area appears this menu which lets you choose one of two options (i marked the relevant option red):

My error all the time was, that I didn’t understood it correct. I was always choosing “Object Type” instead of “Add a Relation”.
But doing so, the new Set will later catch only one single Object Type (Page, or Human, or Task, or Note, or …). But we will never have the opportunity, to see different Object Types in our Set.

For that reason, if we want to mix different Object Types in our Set, we must not choose “Object Type”, but “Add a Relation” (I marked it red in the picture).

This is the “secret” of to create a Set that is capable to catch ALL Objects, no matter of their Type.
Later, in the Filter settings, we can choose which relations in the (different) Objects are of interest for us. And we can change our selection at any time, this is not choice for eternity.

OK, that’s it!
Now it’s clear for me. And I think, this way I describet it, also a new user can understand it fast, without doubt about what he is actually doing and what the consequences are.

2 Likes

Not always, but it’s been around a year since the feature has been implemented.

1 Like