Add "Time" and "Duration" as types of relation (hours:minutes:seconds)

Edit: After I posted this I realized if you click on the header for the date relation you can choose to show time as well, which is great! However I’d like to keep my post for the time picker request, as well as the request for having a more complex/flexible way to specify “moments” and durations.

I’d like to be able to add a Time or Duration relation which is not just numeric. It should limit the value to a valid time (ex. 13:12) or duration (ex. 2h 41m 1s) value, with a picker. Basically the same way Date works, but for time and duration.

I did search for this in the forum, but couldn’t find it. It seems like the kind of thing someone would have asked for before though… If that’s the case please let me know!

PS:

Ideally I’d like to be able to have a more general “flexible” type of relation for temporal relations, which potentially contains all possible measures of time (CENTURY/DECADE/YEAR/MONTH/DAY/HOUR/MINUTE/SECOND), and would allow me to choose what parts of the time/duration I want to include in my object type.

Some examples for date (which should really be called “Moment” or something like this):

• if I just want a simple date, I’d pick HOUR:MINUTE
  • if I want to mention a historical event broadly, I might pick YEAR

. If I want to add when an event would happen, I might want YEAR/MONTH/DAY/HOUR:MINUTE

Same for duration:

• if I’m talking about geological timeframes, I could pick CENTURIES
  • if I’m just measuring a running sprint, I might just want SECONDS
  • someone might go crazy and want to be able to specify duration from CENTURY all the way to SECONDS

Note this would essentially mean that the traditional Date and Time relation types would be achieved by this single type of relation called “Moment”.

Anyway, I digress. I’d be happy with a simple time and duration picker. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I just realized if you click on the header for the date relation you can choose to show time as well, which is great!

However I’d like to keep my post for the time picker request, as well as the request for having a more complex/flexible way to specify “moments” and durations.

@qualquertipo, I can’t really find this option to show time. Would you mind sharing a picture?

I am using Android v0.3.2-alpha (0.15.50) and Desktop 0.20.9 versions.

@thiago_nascimentodf Doesn’t seem to work on Android.

On desktop I just clicked the header for the date column. There should be a toggle to show time. I’m on my phone now but can check tomorrow and do a printscreen!

Oh, I see it now. It seems to be only available at the Grid View in Sets pages.

I wonder when these settings are going to be available at the Object, Template and Type pages.

2 Likes

@thiago_nascimentodf That’s it!

Agree it should be available in views other than Grid as well.

Also, as I mentioned in my original post, I’d really like to be able to pick what parts of the “moment” or duration to use (in case I want just time, or just hours for example).

1 Like

with a picker you mean ‘from’ and a ‘to’ option?
‘from’ and ‘to’ would solve the timeframes. i really could use ‘from’ and ‘to’ for calendersync with the API later.