Add style to text before writing it

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

To add style to text, first it has to be written.

Describe the solution you’d like

Using the already existing keyboard shortcut (for example CTRL+B )before writing should make the typed text bold until I press the shortcut again.

29 Likes

Describe the bug

I am unable to format the text while or pre typing

Context

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

Say I want to bold a sentence,

in other platforms I can ctrl + b on a blank screen to toggle bold mode on

then plainly write the wanted sentence,

ctrl + b to turn off bold mode.

but it is not the case for Anytype.

Here, I have to drag to select then change the format, building extra step and being counterintuitive.

Desktop (please complete the following information):

• Device: Lenovo
  • Version: 0.17.2
8 Likes

That’s weird, I could have sworn formatting hotkeys worked this way at some point…

2 Likes

@Oshyan Agreed, I’m almost sure it used to work before. Strange.

2 Likes

@BGray

@Oshyan

Just wanted to add that I’m on the Windows version of AnyType and I’ve been unable to pre-format text since I downloaded it.

1 Like

I asked for this in october https://community.anytype.io/t/-/1002

It has never worked for me.

2 Likes

@marcoccio Oh yeah, this post reminded me of yours, which I had liked earlier. That’s why I guess I thought it used to work. This post is a duplicate then.

2 Likes

@Eleanor Hey! This feature not implemented in Anytype yet

2 Likes

Describe the bug

Bold, Italics and Inline Code block shortcuts are not working unless a text selection is made

To Reproduce

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Open a page
    1. Start a text block and Press <CTRL+B> to toggle bold

Expected behavior

Within a text block, the shortcuts should work with or without a text selection to toggle the formatting

Desktop (please complete the following information):

4 Likes

It would be awesome if it works like word processor. We have to have the word selected to make bold or italic or otherwise.

1 Like

Happy (belated) birthday to this feature request! I also miss this when writing in Anytype.

2 Likes

Title says everything, for more screenrec:
screenrecorder-2021-07-31-04-27-07-598.mp4

This would help to create easy workflows like

ENTER, design, write text

4 Likes

I can replicate the issue and only seem to be able to set an empty block to align differently but not other formating.

It indeed is a little quality of life fix that should be possible.

2 Likes

@wemiprog Thank you for your notice! It has been added to the bug tracker

2 Likes

Feature request for the desktop version requesting the same

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue; this is particularly problematic when one is write a link or inline code. If you ever get the cursor back to the end of the link or inline code, the formatting becomes “sticky”; whatever you will write will be a link or an inline code.

The only way that I’ve found as a workaround is to select the last character you wrote, then use a keyboard shortcut or the formatting menu to un-format it, and then continue writing. Which is pretty slow, unfortunately !

2 Likes

I’d like to be able to format text “in advance”. When I hit ctrl+B without selecting text, this should lead the text I write next to be bold. It’s annoying to always go back to format text.

9 Likes

Just got into the alpha today and couldn’t figure out why the cmd+i/cmd+b etc. weren’t doing anything till I found this. I’d really hope that gets added/fixed soon; I can’t think of a word processor/text edit without it. Even this comment box I’m typing this in supports it. It’s also really annoying that I can’t un-format the text following the formatted text till after it’s been typed.

1 Like

+1 this also confused me and I thought it was a bug, since it’s so ubiquitous amongst word processors. For me the more important use case is headers (e.g. Ctrl-Shift-1) for quickly outlining sections in new pages, but yes there should be shortcuts for all formats.

1 Like