Add markup characters around marked word(s)/line

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

It would be practical if some characters like ", `, ',{}, (), <> would be added to a word by marking the word and then typing the according character, which then add the right character before and after the marked section.

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

When one of the above characters is typed check if anything is marked and add the corresponding character in front and at the end of the marked section.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

When I am writing documentation it is easier to keep the writing flow, when I don’t have to add braces or markup characters like ` or I do forget to add them and then want to add them later.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

Current behaviour is that if I mark a word and type ` the word is replaced by that character.

Example usage (with mockup documentation):
“If you want to set a new password just use the command sudo chpasswd.”

I now want to add ` to sudo chpasswd so it is highlighted as code in my text.

1. I mark the sudo chpasswd section
  2. I type `
    Outcome: “If you want to set a new password just use the command `sudo chpasswd`.”
3 Likes

Something like this?

2 Likes

Exactly this is what I mean. Thank you for the video.

2 Likes

I think text editing and styling is a big topic. It needs to be tested and released in one big block, an update. I work a lot with text, print information, and there is a need for many functions that are not available now.

Hi @Konstantin, this is indeed true and I agree with you that we need more functions when it comes to text manipulation and styling.
Please check these feature requests and like what you feel is more relevant to you (more likes means more attention from the devs!):

If you’d like to dive even deeper, use this search or make your own! Also feel free create a new topic if there isn’t already one for that feature you really want :wink:

Thanks. I’ll think about the topic.

2 Likes