Add an option to download all files automatically

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Add an option in Space settings to download all files to the local storage

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

A toggle in Space settings. When disabled, files would only get downloaded when opened on the device (as it currently works); when enabled, all files would get downloaded automatically to the local storage.

One additional toggle could let users decide whether to only allow downloads on Wi-Fi, or to also allow downloads on cellular data.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

I constantly find myself offline, trying to open photos or videos from my Space, only to find that it is the first time I open them on this particular device and as a result cannot open them offline.

This would make Anytype truly offline-first.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

The only workaround I can think of is to prepare for some time offline by literally going through our entire Space and opening every single file so they get downloaded, from every single device we use Anytype on, which is completely unrealistic.

Re-upping this because this remains by far the biggest issue for my use of Anytype as an offline tool.

It’s depressing how often I don’t have internet and I try to access a photo, PDF, or video that isn’t downloaded.

A simple toggle to “automatically download all media files” in the space settings would be a life save :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Upping this since this is still my biggest issue. At least a better file manager to manage remote or local files. Like an option to set files to always available for offline.

1 Like

This is the one thing that keeps me from using Anytype at all.

As long as this is not implemented properly, i’m forced to stay with Joplin. I MUST have full sync with full offline support on all devices automatically.

2 Likes