Add ability to indent blocks on Android with buttons

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

Android app currently doesnot have an forward indent or backward indent.

Describe the solution you’d like

have them in the style option or like obsidian where they appear when the keyboard app is raised.

9 Likes

I also miss this feature in Android.

Maybe have it as a swipe-in gesture from the left/right edges (for right/left indentation, respectively), with real-time visual feedback (highlighting the affected Block) and option to cancel by swiping back off screen (in case user starts moving the wrong Block - which might happen when dealing with vertically short one-line Blocks).

2 Likes

After the 0.4.0 update for Android, indenting blocks has been made a bit easier by dragging a block under or on top of another block. However, you can’t indent the current block that you’re editing without selecting another block, long-pressing on it, then dragging it to the desired indentation, as long-pressing just brings up the text style editor.

A button, or as qualquertipo mentioned, a gesture to indent and outdent on mobile is a feature which is essential for a block-style editor. Most apps (Notion, Craft) which I am familiar with on mobile devices use a button, but a gesture may also work well.

2 Likes

Indent was available earlier through scroll and move, I think.

1 Like

You can move a block inside another to indent it, move it outside to outdent it on android

A direct approach like it is available in logseq, or how apple notes does that swiping the bullet o the right or to the left not just moving. Moving would work great when multiple items be indented or outdent.
Dedicated indent/ outdent is quicker and intuitive.
Or like Apple notes way.

Maybe title can be changed to emphasize that clearly.
Dedicated indent/outdent quick action or button

A dedicated indent button is desperately needed. The existing solution is difficult and confusing to use. Sometimes I’m able to get it working after a few tries, but sometimes I am unable to indent no matter how many attempts I make.

3 Likes

@colin8 I’m happy that the current implementation exists to move blocks around, but I agree it is too finicky to easily in- and outdent and that a dedicated button would make this a lot easier.

1 Like

Having a dedicated button on screen for this would be ideal, as this is a very important functionality (especially once “every block is a toggle” :crossed_fingers: is implemented).

Gestures are nice, but not always work well depending on situation/context (also sometimes they conflict with OS wide gestures).

1 Like

Though apple notes like gestures would be welcome