Add a search function for sets to search within them only

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.

We should be able to search a specific set while looking at the set (excluding things not in the set while searching)

Describe the solution you’d like

Something like the search bar in the notion databases would be nice.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered

Having a way to filter search by type in the general search bar ?

Additional context

To put this into context and show why I think this is usefull : I use my anytype to keep a knowledge base for my practice as an ER physician but I also keep a journal and a case-book with some of my interesting cases. So a lot of my objects have similar names but serve very different functions in my life and this can clutter the search and sometimes make it a bit harder to find the right object.

22 Likes

In addition to what Notion already has and what OP suggests, I think it would be nice for the search bar to also search the contents of each Object in a Set, if possible.

For example:
Let’s say I have a Set of recipes that doesn’t have a relation about specific ingredients as they are listed in the contents area. Recipe title is also pretty vague. I want to search from the Set which recipes needs eggplant because I have an excess of eggplants about to go bad soon. I think this would be very useful.

Another use case I’m thinking of is a physical container index to easily sort my things and easily find them.

I have varied experiences using different database types (MySQL, SAP, Access, Excel, Notion) but so far, none have been able to do it.

Thanks, Anytype team!

6 Likes

It would indeed be great to have a full content search if search gets added to sets

For your receipe example, you can achieve the same currently with a ingredients relation which takes a list of ingredients used in the dish and then use a filter to only display items matching the criteria :smile:

2 Likes

I have a request for that here if you want to vote.

4 Likes

I have a similar request for this. In my request I suggest having the search be per column (giving additional precision).

Should we merge?

https://community.anytype.io/t/quick-sort-filter-per-column-relation-in-a-set/2639

2 Likes

@Oshyan Would you mind merging the mentioned threads? I also wanted to suggest this feature, but I was quite sure that there already is a thread for this (and in fact there are multiple). However, those threads were hard to find and maybe if there is only a single thread for this topic, it helps.

1 Like

@LeoWarnow In these situations the staff explained to me that it is necessary to flag the incriminated Topics by indicating the related URLs of the said related topics, so that all the staff will be able to see it. It is not necessary to mention staff in a topic reply. :wink:

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Be able to search sets using command-f as well instead of just being able to search pages

3 Likes

I came to this forum looking into what I was missing. I am really surprised search inside the set is not a thing yet. I feel like if you want to have a database, you should have at the very least basic search.

Even though the search inside each object would be nice, that could be a feature for later.

:fire: Opinion needed :fire:
Hello fellow anytypes. At the moment we could not provide full content search and we have two roads to take:

• Make first version (maybe for a long period time) of search only by object name
  • Or do not spend our time on this and focus on full text search instead
  • Search by object title in sets will resolve most of my needs
  • I need more robust search for sets for my use cases

0 voters

I was already under the impression that this would only use object titles anyways, so I’m for the second option.

Same here! For me search works OK-ish for searching for Object titles, but it has some quirks due to which I cannot always find my notes back. For me, OneNote could be the golden standard to go for with two search levels:

• CTRL+E for searching everything
  • CTRL+F for searching on the current page

Before I continue: apologies for the OneNote love fest this post has become…

Search results are also displayed in a great way:

• Recent picks first, because chances are you are looking for something you wrote or edited recently
  • Hits with the search query in the title (and maybe the page), because the title is important and increases the chance that is what you are looking for
  • Hits with the search query on the page only

Three other important functions for me that OneNote search excels in:

• Speed: its blazing fast, they must do some excellent indexing
  • It remembers your search so when you press CTRL+E or CTRL+F again, it loads the search results you already had, making interacting with search really quick.
  • The search hits remain visible when you click on the hits and only disappear when you click outside of the search results, allowing you to quickly browse through all hits to find the content you are looking for.

Nice to have:

• Index text in PDF files and images with OCR. OneNote does this and saved me a couple of times already. Somehow, OneNote is crazy fast and accurate, so maybe do some reverse engineering (or bribe a MS employee for their trade secrets!)
  • Other OneNote search that is awesome (but not key to a great basic search experience)
    • Set search scope: for OneNote you can search within a notebook, section group, section or across everything with CTRL+E and on a page with CTRL+F to easily filter out irrelevant hits if you know where to look approximately. For Anytype it would come down to filtering on Object Type and Relation values, similar to how you can search here on the Discourse forum with tag:Android, etc. Additionally, Discourse lets you search in a scope with the “in” keyword: in:title, in:pinned, etc.
    • Autocomplete/suggestions for these kind of features supercharges your searching speed.
5 Likes
  1. Ability to search for text across sets. Once matches are found, prompt the list of search results for the user to select and open up the page > once opened by the user, scroll to and highlight the text. This option is not available in both the mobile app and desktop app (refer attached video on how onedrive does this, Obsidian does it too). I understand implementing contextual search can be heavy, but nevertheless it’s required for journalling.

2. Ability to “Find and Replace All” within a page. The desktop app supports a “Find” option but not a “Replace” option like in Obsidian. The mobile app doesn’t support both. I had to copy paste some of the content in Word when I had to change a matching key terminology in all my pages.

1 Like

Search in sets will be available in upcoming release :sparkles:

6 Likes

This is great news. What kind of search is coming, may I ask? Search by object title, or more robust search, as per the poll options above? If it is the former, a FR requesting implementation of the more robust search features should be created (or this one should be kept open), as per the results of the poll above. Simple search by title works great for me, specifically. However, the poll shows that many could make use of more robust search features, too.

Hi!
Search for sets and collections are available on version 0.36.0 now I think?

If I am missing something, please let me know.

I am making this post, thinking this FR may be complete already. Can Anyone from the team or admins help?

Thanks. Good-day.

1 Like

That is true. However, this is just a simple search by object name. It does not search the other shown relations.
Therefore, this FR should be either split into “object name search FR” (which is completed and works beautifully) and “advanced sets quick search FR”, which is not implemented yet, or this one should be kept open for future possible “advanced search functions” improvements, as per my previous message above.

2 Likes

Hello!

I see now. It is true that Anytype only searches the name of objects and nothing else.

To search the words inside a document we have to open the document then press ctrl+ F. But, this really clashes with finding connected information.:cry:

I suppose the FR should be split, with one being “search all relations and words in a set”.

Godday😊

@Tamalika
The search also includes the content of the objects in the set.
To not overcomplicate this and as the feature has been implemented I will close this topic. For additional features please create an additional feature request. This is also to have the template used and all needed information available for the devs without reading trough the whole topic.

2 Likes

Hi!
I saw that the search function in sets and collections does search the words inside the document. :star_struck: I guess, new FR can be made for searching the relations and the options within the relations. Maybe thw original posters or one of the team can help.

Got the news about an upcoming release with the embed block. Looking forward to it.

Thanks. :pray:

2 Likes