Academic Literature Formatted Citations Support

1. We should be able to insert academic literature formatted citations natively as an object.
  2. Formatted academic citations support is critical for academic research use cases.
  3. There are two ways that I can think of for implementing this: either anytype builds its own library of academic reference materials and produce formatted citations from that or by outsourcing that work by integrating with a external reference manager like Zotero.
  4. The current alternative is to input the citation in an external word editor and then copy paste that into the anytype, which defeats the purpose of having all your content interconnected with each under one roof.
  5. Guidelines of American Psychological Association (APA) Reference Style, 7th Edition’s prescribed guidelines are described at: Style and Grammar Guidelines
  6. Similarly, Vancover reference style guidelines are available at: Vancouver - Citing and referencing - Subject guides at Monash University
7 Likes

Hi @fmksr2007, thanks for sharing your ideas! I kindly ask you to stick to the predefined format when creating a new feature request (or bug report). This helps us more easily identify whether all relevant information has been provided.

Now, for the request itself, I think this would be a powerful addition! I I’m curious to hear your opinion about my suggested implementation.

1. Have an Object Type “Citation” added that takes the following Relations (I’m probably missing some here):
    a. Authors
    b. Title
    c. Journal
    d. Publication date
    e. Volume
    f. Page range
    g. URL
    h. DOI
    i. Pubmed Id
  2. I can imagine two ways such an Object could be referenced on a canvas:
    a. Have a custom card Block that takes an Object of type “Citation” and formats it like a citation (much like a bookmark card takes a URL to display an image, title, description and link).
    b. Have an inline reference by selecting text and adding a link to the Citation Object, much like you would link to other Objects by selecting text. Additionally, it could be useful for this kind of link to show a superscript number and a written out reference at the bottom of the page (clasical way to show a reference) or to have the Object appear as a block card (see a.) when hovering over the selected text.
  3. Managing citations sounds like a perfect use case for a plugin due to its specialized nature.
1 Like

Hi, thank you for your reply. The inline version would be preferable because that is the workflow process in other word processors. Vancouver referencing style shows numbers only as in-line citation, which is indeed compatible with your suggestion. Rather than the bibliographic citation appearing in the footnote of each page, I would rather have them as a collective bibliographic list in the manner of academic literature.

1 Like

Hi @fmksr2007, today I gave this idea some more thought.

It should be possible to stick to Anytype’s “everything is an Object” paradigm when referencing internal or external resources. I hope I can make the idea clear with the following example:

Imagine you write a text in Object A, and you need to reference an external source (in this example, an article from a scientific journal) to credit their work.

1. You select the relevant part of your text and use the quick menu to link to a resource:

2. You then create a new Object (let’s call it Object B) using the “+ Create new object” option:
    You could create a new object with Object Type “Citation” (currently not a built-in Object Type, but you could make a custom Object Type).

3. You choose a template that matches the kind of resource you are referencing (book, journal article, website, etc.). For certain kinds of resources, you could even have multiple templates, like for journal articles: a template for “Journal article (Vancouver)” and another for “Journal article (APA)”, and so on.
    You fill out all the details of the external resource (journal name, article title, etc., as listed in my previous post). Up to now, this is almost all possible with already existing functionality. It is not yet possible to select/choose a template when creating a new Object through these steps, but there is an existing request that could help here:

1. We then come to the core of this request: allow users to choose a specific style of displaying the linked resource. Right now, there is only one (non-configurable) way the linked Object is displayed when hovering the mouse over the texts:
    If you could configure what and how information is displayed, your request could be covered, while also allowing for flexibility for other scenario’s. I’m not yet sure about the best implementation of this configuration. I can imagine that this is something you’d need another kind of template for which can be applied to the link itself, but I can also imagine that this is something to configure within the Object Type Template that is used to create the Object that holds the reference (with title, journal, etc.).

2. For bonus points, I think a Block similar to the Table of Contents (/toc) block for References would be awesome: type /references to add a block that shows all links/references in the Object and updates dynamically when new references are added.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

1 Like