A way to add/organize content in a way that is less rigid, more organic and frictionless (like RemNote)

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

A more freeform/intuitive way to build my knowledge base by being able to easily/quickly nest/rearrange “Objects” around as needed. Structures and categories emerge naturally, and can be changed/improved with no friction.

The short video below is an example of how this can be done in RemNote.

Some notes:

• In RemNote, each bullet (which they call Rem) is the equivalent to an Object in Anytype. They can be nested, but also opened as a “page” on their own (as I show towards the end of the video)
  • In the video I intentionally avoid using any other RemNote features - focusing on the workflow for adding and organising new basic textual content
  • I also avoid anything too complex - just some very simple dummy content

HOW COULD IT BE DONE

Not sure how the behaviour I show in the video could be achieved in Anytype in its current form (or even in its intended form). As long as something similar to what I’m showing can be achieved somehow, I’m happy.

It seems to me that the way Anytype is currently built isn’t well suited for the workflow I show in the video. Currently AT isn’t very granular - Objects/Pages can’t really be nested within each other. There is a block type for nested content (Toggles?), but it’s quite limiting. To achieve what I want, I think Anytype would need to have greater granularity, down to Block level at least.

REAL WORLD USE CASES

The way Anytype expects users to add content is very limited and rigid. You need to decide what is an Object (or Page), and what are Blocks. That’s not how our minds work. I want to be able to just add notes/content, and gradually organize and build up a hierarchal structure/logic around it - everything is an Object (considering the current definition of Object), even down to Block level. And if needed, move everything around, without any friction.

A topic that is minor one day, tucked inside my Knowledge Base, can become a top level topic the next day. And this should be doable with very little effort or impact.

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVES

At the moment, the closest I could get to that in Anytype is using inline Sets (when these are available), as these would more or less allow objects to be living inside other objects. But that’s a very limiting version of the behaviour I show in the video.

Sets are an amazing and very useful way to display content. But I wouldn’t want all my content shown this way.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT

RemNote is one of the most flexible apps around for creating/organising content. Problem is it doesn’t look like they will add database (Sets) view so soon. Also, they don’t have a cheaper local-only version. Anytype has everything I need, except for the agility/flexibility in adding/organising content shown in the video.

Related post:

4 Likes

Thanks for the elaborate write-up! I know you are the author of this topic, too, but I think it is important to link it here to stress the importance of the current difference between Object vs Block:

Thanks!

I’ve been avoiding linking to that because it’s a bit messy. My thoughts about that have developed and matured, especially with all the conversations going on in the forum. I need to do an update on that eventually…

Edit: but you’re right! thay should be linked here too.

1 Like

So if I understand correctly, this appears to be the combination of:

Block parent-child basically exists, although it may not work exactly as needed to enable Rem-like functionality fully. In particular I’m not sure if the “parentage” has data model consequences beyond page layout. But it should be something that could be represented in an “expanded”/focused view, I would think.

“Focus”/expand block deserves its own feature request, if it doesn’t already exist. I’m don’t recall seeing it, but forum content master @sambouwer might know better than I. :grin:

And as noted, toggle/collapse as a function of every block already has been requested, accepted, and is supposed to be in dev (:tada:). :slight_smile:

Did I miss anything that would be required to make this work within Anytype? Any function that those 3 capabilities would not enable?

The features you mention are great, but for the workflow I mention in my post, I think these wouldn’t be enough.

In Anytype, when you want to enter some information in your knowledge base, you need to first decide: should this be an Object, or a Block within an existing Object? That is much more friction than the workflow I show in my video.

What makes this work in RemNote is the fact that there is no imposed hierarchy (like the Object > Blocks in Anytype). In RemNote, everything is a Rem. Even root Rems aren’t “special”, since they can always be moved into the hierarchy as needed. There is zero friction in entering, editing and organizing content.

Elsewhere someone mentioned the possibility of adding a feature to Anytype allowing the user to convert Objects to Blocks and vice versa. To me that would be very convoluted, as it would be a workaround to make Anytype work in a way that (it seems) it isn’t inherently built to do…

By the way, I hope it’s not an issue that I refer to RemNote (as well as other software) so often. I think Anytype is amazing. Which is why if some other similar Knowledge-base software has something that I really like, I make a FR here. Hope I don’t come across as ungrateful or difficult :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like