A few remarks after a first visit to Anytype

The overall concept is very interesting. The interface is graphically pleasant and clear, and easy to navigate, use is fast.

The current absence of contextual menus is a bit annoying for someone accustomed to this feature.

One could consider several display options on the start screen, structured (list…) or informal (whiteboard).

How to select several objects on the start screen, for example to delete them?

Among the functions that seem very useful to me, are multi-windowing and/or adaptive multi-columning provided for simultaneous viewing of several contents and block exchanges. From this point of view, what is the use of opening the contents of an object in a separate window by shift or cmd-click, without resizing or moving possible?

From an organizational perspective, Anytype seems solely based on the relational network paradigm, not hierarchical nesting.

Does a newly created object not appear in any storage hierarchy (folder type), only in a Set of objects of the same type, in the History and in the Graph? If an object is not in the Favorites or a Set, the History and the BIN are emptied, and we do not know its type and its name, where does it appear, apart from the Graph? Shouldn’t there be a vision All where to look? Especially for imported data.

In the absence of very sophisticated search functions, the classification of many objects or sets may become difficult. I did not find how to tag various objects, to find them later in the search.

What is the definition of the level of granularity of referable basic elements. Could a simple block also be referenced (ID) using backlinks, and possibly appear in the Graph or the Navigation Panel (without being transformed into an object before)?

The concepts of Link and Mention are quite obvious, adding that of Relation is interesting, but I have more difficulty with its definition and its use.

For example, a Description type relationship, between what and what? Some types of Relations do not allow an Object to be included in them. In this case, they do not appear in the Graph or the Navigation Panel. Is it not rather an attribute, possibly including a relationship with one or more other objects, depending on its nature?

On the other hand, the number of possible relations, standard or personalized, seems to me a little overwelming… We can imagine them in so many fields of knowledge, and their definition can turn out to be very complex. Will there be a greater number of types, a form of classification by families and a sort of complex relation internal editor? And one should not confuse types of objects and of relations, the definition of a type of objects depending partly on that of one or more relations as I understand it.

it is not recommended to duplicate a relation with the same name. A priori, the copy of a relation seems rather to create an instance of this one. Is this a general principle?

External url link test in the sentence: https://apple.com How to do it simply from this text?

Why aren’t mentions included in Navigation Panel or Graph? It could be as an option.

On the possibility of Transclusion of referenced objects, it seems to exist for Mentions, is it planned for Relations and Links)?

Where is the Draft type of Objects ?

How to drag and drop a block between 2 others, to copy it (with alt)?

I presume more text editing options will be added, in Markdown, tables…

Outline work seems very important to me, will it be brought to the level of flexibility of use of other specialized software, such as Dynalist or Outlinely? With a focus mode?

Since Anytype is IPFS-based, is the client currently acting as a node storing network files? Is it compatible with another already installed, is it stopable, and does it allow a higher storage limit?

Best regards

1 Like

Lots of good questions here! There are quite a few feature requests here in the forums related to some of the things you mention, so if you not have already done so I recommend searching and upvoting those that you support. If you don’t find a request and it feels important to you, please add it! You will also find some info on IPFS, etc. in the Docs, although I think more is needed (and I know some more is being worked on):

I also just want to mention that I share your concern/uncertainty regarding the difference between “relation” and “attribute”, and I wonder if this will be clarified in the future. I think Relations are one of the more confusing aspects of Anytype currently. But they are also very powerful, so they need to be made highly intuitive and accessible for people to easily make use of their capabilities. And indeed if we end up using Anytype for the broad number of purposes that it seems intended for, then there will be many, many, many Relations eventually. There will need to be some very good organizational tools such as “smart” filtering, perhaps hierarchical structure for them (e.g. Relations by “type” of relation, those that relate for instance to Media vs. Project Management, where each “domain” may have 20+ common types of relations unique to its purposes).